Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quick question re direct debit

Options
  • 31-08-2013 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

I didn't make it to the Ebs yesterday to lodge funds.
    My account is at zero and there is a direct debit due to go out Monday.
    If I lodge the funds before the end of the day will I stay in the clear?
    Or will I be penalised if the direct debit is attempted before I lodge funds?
    Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Generally if the funds are lodged before 5pm, your DD will be honoured. But before you lodge the money, the DD will overdraw your account, for which you'll be charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Generally if the funds are lodged before 5pm, your DD will be honoured. But before you lodge the money, the DD will overdraw your account, for which you'll be charged.

Thank you!
    If I get there at 10 in the morning and lodge it will that make a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

lolo62 wrote: »
    Thank you!

It depends on when EBS processes direct debits. If they do DDs after close of business and you lodge cash at 10 a.m. then there shouldn't be a problem but you need to mention it to the official when you're making the lodgement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

lolo62 wrote: »
    Thank you!

The DD will process over night so you'll still be charged for being overdrawn. Debits before credits and all that. But sure better to get charged a fiver for being overdrawn than a tenner for missing the DD!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Thanks guys looks like a fiver it is so...its funny, I actually went through the nightmare of changing current accounts from aib to Ebs to save on some charges. I still have an account with Aib for cheques (Ebs don't do them) and if a cheque is cashed on zero and I lodge money by the end of the same day there is no charge. Plus you can hit the post office on Saturdays with Aib, which is great when you miss Friday.
    Oh well grass is always greener and all that...

• Advertisement
Advertisement