Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Busáras - is there a heating system there?

  • 31-08-2013 9:47am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭ bobbyss


    Anybody know why there does not seem to be heating in Busarus? I know in winter time they have an automatic sliding door that often gets jammed open leading to even colder temp there.

    I do not see any heating system in operation. In this day and age you would expect a a public building to adhere to minimum temp requirements.


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 18,889 ✭✭✭✭ murphaph


    In this day and age I'd expect Busarus to be either torn down or properly restored to its former glory. The current situation is frankly embarrassing. It is a total dump.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭ Judgement Day


    murphaph wrote: »
    In this day and age I'd expect Busarus to be either torn down or properly restored to its former glory. The current situation is frankly embarrassing. It is a total dump.

    Its 'former glory'? :confused:


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭ bobbyss


    Agreed.
    It is quite shambolic. And its 'former glory' is dubious also! It is quite an ugly building I think. The front door area is tatty and grimy. You feel as if you need to wash your hands afterwards being around there.

    I would be a regular enough customer early morning and in winter time I am dismayed when I see the sliding door remaining to an open position. Doesn't anybody in that organisation see how that is an issue?

    I don't see any heaters around. Maybe they are hidden somewhere. I certainly don't feel them.

    They have an absolutely monstrous and invasive tv screen which repeats promos/ads every three minutes I would imagine. How terrible it must be to work there.

    I would swear I have seen the same pigeon pooh one day after another on the same benches.

    Excuse the rant but I believe there are issues that can easily be addressed by someone who could put customers first.


  • Registered Users Posts: 18,889 ✭✭✭✭ murphaph


    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose. It wasn't always a filthy kip like it is today.


  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Sam Russell


    I think nearly all publicly owned buildings that are open to the general public are filthy. The windows do not appear to be cleaned on a regular basis. Blinds hang drunkenly down, tethered at only one end, and most are broken in some way. This appears to be a pattern with all such buildings that I have had the misfortune to have to wait in. Even the unemployment places, where there is a queue of individuals looking for a job are in need of employing a cleaner or two.


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 20,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭ bk


    I think nearly all publicly owned buildings that are open to the general public are filthy.

    The coach station in Galway would argue against that. Lovely building, very clean and well maintained.


  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Sam Russell


    There are always places that are well kept. Congratulations to Galway for bucking the trend.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,781 ✭✭✭ Carawaystick


    bk wrote: »
    The coach station in Galway would argue against that. Lovely building, very clean and well maintained.

    Privately owned though.

    It's hard to see how busaras would work letting people out to busses without a huge loss of heat

    Unless the inside was raised up above the door lintel height


  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 20,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭ bk


    Privately owned though.

    But still a public space and still a bus station, so it proves it can be done.


  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Sam Russell


    bk wrote: »
    But still a public space and still a bus station, so it proves it can be done.

    But it is not publicly owned. Can it be done by CIE?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,233 ✭✭✭✭ Victor


    People in bus stations in winter are normally wearing winter clothing.
    Privately owned though.
    I thought it was owned by the council?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,374 ✭✭✭✭ foggy_lad


    Busaras is so cold because the knackered old doors cant be left on automatic opening because they often break and people could get caught in them and get injured, an added bomus is that fewer beggars and homeless people congregate there because it is warmer in a doorway.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭ bobbyss


    Victor wrote: »
    People in bus stations in winter are normally wearing winter clothing. I thought it was owned by the council?

    You can be cold wearing winter clothing in sub zero temps.


    Wonder have the exit doors/glass to the buses and indeed the main doorway ever been replaced or upgraded since Busarus was built? It must be a 50 year old building at this stage-if not older? What a huge loss of heat if they have not been replaced. The Govt is always banging on about this kind of wastefulness so it would be surprising if they have not been upgraded.

    Must ask someone next time I am there to point out the location of the heating system there.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ ardmacha


    For such a notable building, there appears to be little respect for Busáras.
    http://www.archiseek.com/ireland/buildings_ireland/dublin/northcity/store_street/busaras/mutilation.html


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭ bobbyss


    ardmacha wrote: »
    For such a notable building, there appears to be little respect for Busáras.
    http://www.archiseek.com/ireland/buildings_ireland/dublin/northcity/store_street/busaras/mutilation.html


    Thanks for that Ardmacha.

    It seems that the glass was replaced in the 80s then. Wonder what quality it was? There would have been double glazing at that point I think. But there must have been some sort of central heating installed.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭ bobbyss


    Spoke with helpful employee in Busarus recently. Doors must be kept open for H & S reasons.
    And there was never any heating installed in the building. He said that because there was some kind of preservation order on the building any improvements were difficult to address.

    When I asked him whether there were any health and safety issues regarding employees working in sub zero temperatures in winter time, he said because they were so busy always on the go they did not notice any cold temps. What about the customers however sitting around waiting for buses however ? I wonder do the staff in the tower like office inside the building have heating? Forgot to ask him that. Helpful chap though.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭ Judgement Day


    bobbyss wrote: »
    Spoke with helpful employee in Busarus recently. Doors must be kept open for H & S reasons.
    And there was never any heating installed in the building. He said that because there was some kind of preservation order on the building any improvements were difficult to address.

    When I asked him whether there were any health and safety issues regarding employees working in sub zero temperatures in winter time, he said because they were so busy always on the go they did not notice any cold temps. What about the customers however sitting around waiting for buses however ? I wonder do the staff in the tower like office inside the building have heating? Forgot to ask him that. Helpful chap though.

    You make it sound like Balamory, everybody busy as bees ....as for the staff in the offices - I'm sure being government employees they would soon be on the picket line if their offices weren't up to scratch.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭ bobbyss


    You make it sound like Balamory, everybody busy as bees ....as for the staff in the offices - I'm sure being government employees they would soon be on the picket line if their offices weren't up to scratch.

    I tend to agree with that. Must ask the next time I visit.


Advertisement