Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reducing bank charges [was "laser card charges in BOI"]

Options
  • 31-08-2013 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

HI there

Bank of Ireland introduced new charges for using your laser card. You need to pay 0,25eur per each transaction with your laser card (unless you have 3000eur on your account it is a flat charge of 5eur per quarter).

Would you know how doest it look like in the other banks? would you recommend other bank services where they dont charge you for laser card transaction. Overall i am satisfied with BOI, they have an excellent online service, but to pay additional 30-40eur per quarter is really annoying

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You could look at ptsb: no fees if you lodge 1500 euro a month, or EBS which has no fees for the same/or you maintain €500 minimum balance (though you are restricted to 5 free ATM machine withdrawals). However if you use the cashback feature on your card that is not a huge issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

master13 wrote: »
    HI there

Bank of Ireland introduced new charges for using your laser card. You need to pay 0,25eur per each transaction with your laser card (unless you have 3000eur on your account it is a flat charge of 5eur per quarter).

Would you know how doest it look like in the other banks? would you recommend other bank services where they dont charge you for laser card transaction. Overall i am satisfied with BOI, they have an excellent online service, but to pay additional 30-40eur per quarter is really annoying

I've effectively stopped using my debit card, and I now use my credit card for everything. I then clear all the purchases 1-2 times a month. I was one of those people who could use a debit card 10+ times a day, and breaking the habit isn't easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I agree with dudara. 10 transactions a week is 10 bank charges. If you use a credit card, its one transaction to pay the bill. Thats assuming you dont pay interest!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 master13

Thank you guys, that is a really good idea, did not think about using my credit card, i will need to change the habit:)

Advertisement