Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Naturalization Petitions

Options
  • 31-08-2013 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I found 2 petitions for the same person. The first one in 1865 residing in Madison Street, soldier honorably discharged (NY Volunteers), and 2nd one in 1868 in Baxter Street, which according to Google maps is less than a mile from Madison Street.

Any idea why would there have been 2 petitions?

I've noticed that the Nationality (if filled in) can be Irish, English or GB&Ireland is usually written on the back of the Index card. However, I've seen some petitions with nationality stated as English and no other remark so searching for someone with Irish nationality might not yield a result.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Two things come to mind:

First, are you 100% they are the same person and have confirming evidence it's the same person at two different addresses?

There were many Irish with the same names/occupations (you should see the list of "Patrick Murphy, laborer" in any 19thC NYC city directory!) and less than a mile in NYC is like 100 miles everywhere else :D

Second, I have come across one case of this before, that I am aware of. Hard to know what the exact reason was but most likely the applicant did not follow through with the first petition. There was probably two main reasons for this; he initially did not want to (there were some Irish who did not necessarily want to become American citizens, or wavered, before doing it), or thought it would not be approved (could not find a character witness, sent to jail etc..)

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Cool, thanks for replying.

I'm not 100% sure but with a not so common name as Cornelius and even rarer Blackburn. Both made a mark, unable to read/write, both Irish - it would suggest that they are the same person. The first one, the soldier was from Tipperary.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Pretty rare name, for sure. It might be worth a look at NYC city directories and the 1870 federal census for the relevant years to make sure there isn't another Cornelius Blackburn knocking around.

Advertisement