Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering coming out

Options
  • 31-08-2013 4:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

So, over the course of the summer and after many years of not addressing this particular aspect of my life, I think I have finally come to terms with the fact that I'm most likely transgender. It's something that I've felt deep down for years and I'm sad to say, suppressed and denied for many years. However, this summer was a big turning point for me and with leaving college soon, I want to tell my family about who I really am so that I could consider counseling and possibly transitioning somewhere down the line. There's a lot of extra stuff I could talk about but to be honest, there's no point getting into it. The main thing is that I want to start by telling my mum. She's somebody who is very supportive of the LGBT community and she honestly wouldn't care as long as I was happy. I was thinking of coming out to her at some point next week but I don't know quite how to broach the topic. I really do want to tell her and be able to be myself and honest with her but I just have no idea how to tell her. I would appreciate if anybody could share their story or just offer some advice. Thanks guys :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

im not TG but I am gay and came out at the end of last summer, i knew well my mother would be supportive and generally feel indifferent(in a good way). that still didnt make it any easier and it is up there with one of the hardest things ive ever done, i just sat her down for a chat and everytime it felt like a good moment i would change the subject and wait for it to come back around, finally managed to get it out and the first thing out of her mouth was "ah so what", in a sort of, why didnt you tell me sooner tone.

think if your mam supports the LGBT community as it is she will be very understanding :)

Advertisement