Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of certificates

Options
  • 30-08-2013 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭

We are looking at starting n the journey back into the family. Does anyone know what would be the cost of obtaining birth and death certificates? Having heard it could be as much as €20 each, that would make it difficult to do if that's what they cost.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

€20 is for a "proper" certified copy. You do not need this.

If you get the certificate reference details, e.g. off Familysearch, you can get them for €4 each from the GRO. These will be photocopies but will be exactly the same image.

http://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/Irish-civil-registration.html gives decent info on the entire process.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

That makes it alot easier
    Do yo have to know exact details for this? From finding graves you can find out so much but it terms of birth certs it's not so exact.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

ryanf1 wrote: »
    That makes it alot easier
    Do yo have to know exact details for this? From finding graves you can find out so much but it terms of birth certs it's not so exact.

Realistically you end up buying lots of certs you don't need. I shove any I end up with on: http://www.certificate-exchange.co.uk/ but not many others do. To date I've about a 60% 'hit' rate but the further in you get the more duds you'll likely end up with.

If order by phone from the GRO Roscommon some people on here have reported certain members of staff giving some extra details before ordering which lets you filter out obvious non-matches but firstly, not all of them do and secondly, they're not obliged to.

Marriage certs are often a better place to start than births in my experience, two sets of info.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

It's a bloody scandal that the price has gone from 11 to 21 euro :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭CassieManson

It's a bloody scandal that the price has gone from 11 to 21 euro :mad::mad:

I thought certs cost 4 euro?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

I thought certs cost 4 euro?

Photocopies of the originals for research purposes do indeed, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Newstreet

Is there a similarly cheap way to get copies of UK certificates, as the advertised price of £9.25 is rather dear. I'd have three copies of Irish certs for that price. Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I dont think there's an equivalent system for any UK civil certs. Only option in some cases is if the event is covered by parish records online - either free OPC site or subscription like Ancestry or FMP.

For anything Scottish you need Scotlands People, for civil certs for England/Wales you need the GRO, although I've heard that ordering from the relevant local registry office can sometimes be v. slightly cheaper.

I have managed to find a number of graves so all I want to do is discover if dome of these people were siblings. So I suppose baptismal certs would show if they had the same parents or not.

crossed replies/quotes - was intended as response to query by Newstreet
    I have managed to find a number of graves so all I want to do is discover if dome of these people were siblings. So I suppose baptismal certs would show if they had the same parents or not.

What part of England are these ?

You can sometimes work out likely relationships without the actual certs using the various census returns, location, ages, places of birth etc - as long as your dates are between 1841 and 1911. Mother's maiden surname is included in the BMD Index for England/Wales from early 1900s - think maybe 1910 or so, which can help also. (as long as the surname are not too common)

• Advertisement

shanew wrote: »
    What part of England are these ?

You can sometimes work out likely relationships without the actual certs using the various census returns, location, ages, places of birth etc - as long as your dates are between 1841 and 1911. Mother's maiden surname is included in the BMD Index for England/Wales from early 1900s - think maybe 1910 or so, which can help also. (as long as the surname are not too common)
    Its Ireland unfortuately! They were both born in Co.Wexford in the late 1860s or thereabouts.

sorry - mixing up two replies....

back to ryanf1 - yes RC baptism records should show both parents names. if any of the births are after 1864 there may also be civil birth certs (not all births were registered, particularly in the early years of registration).

There are transcripts for some parishes in Co. Wexford on RootsIreland (pay-website), for other parishes you would have to visit the National Library

Advertisement