Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT hangs up on dial-up internet access

Options
  • 30-08-2013 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭

Can this be done here with about 16,000 dialup users as measured by Comreg
    (which really means 20,000+) and of course 3g is really dialup too...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23877364

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

People still use dial up? Seriously? Time for an upgrade I think. Just shows the times I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

People still use dial up? Seriously? Time for an upgrade I think. Just shows the times I guess.

yes lots of people are still stuck on dialup...they usually have no choice

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

bealtine wrote: »
    yes lots of people are still stuck on dialup...they usually have no choice

Even where dsl isn't available normally some form of satellite is available. You'd think people who try all their options and not stick with dial up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Even where dsl isn't available normally some form of satellite is available. You'd think people who try all their options and not stick with dial up.

satellite sucks though, 2 tin cans and some string would be better.
    Not sure why they don't check out FWA providers though

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Strangely due to STUPID policies by certain companies, I have had to use a Dialup analogue modem on my Fixed Wireless Broadband via VOIP carriage into the phone network.

The Comreg figures don't count non-subscription Analogue modem usage, which might not always be to internet. If you have something remote controlled there is no sensible way to to access it remotely over the internet if your remote location only has GSM /Edge / 3G / 4G Internet access as it has no IP address when it's not online!

ALL Mobile even 4G is just Digital Dialup on demand. Not remotely accessible Broadband. But an analogue modem with a real phone number is remotely accessible, and for security beats 3G/4G or Broadband as it can hang up and phone back a pre-arranged number. No 56K mode though, typically 19K to 28K or occasionally 33K bps. ISDN though will allow 128kbps which for two way symmetrical traffic can beat 3G or satellite!

Germany you can have ISDN + ADSL2. Here you ALWAYS had to ditch excellent 128K error free ISDN with all it's features to have DSL. Sometimes Fax is still needed. Fax and direct Premises to Premises networking is far better on ISDN and more secure than Broadband or especially than 3G.

• Advertisement
Advertisement