Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing high level mal/spyware

Options
  • 30-08-2013 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hello,

In several months time I travelling to a country in the far east for a 4 month work contract. The government there is paranoid in the extreme, I have been told that due to the nature of the work all electronic devices will be inspected as I arrive and depart again. I have been reliably told that mal/spyware will be installed on any laptops brought into the country. Is there a way I can get rid of any potentially unwanted software like this?

A friend suggested using the original software discs to f-disk the hardrive, I have everything backed up online and on external's all ready.

Comments

The only way you can be sure is to wipe the laptop and reinstall, so as you said create an image and when you return wipe and re-image.

Where are you going?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 bcorden

Would agree that the only way to be 100% sure is to wipe the laptop and restore to original factory build. As a soft option you could try to put a firewall on the laptop and monitor what applications are connecting to the internet. You can also block anything that you are unsure of?

Advertisement