Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank debited payments from another account [was "my rights !!!"]

Options
  • 30-08-2013 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering what my rights are with my bank. I have 2 accounts with 1 bank; a Dublin joint account which everything goes through, and my own account in a county miles away from the capital.

on pay day, I transferred over the contents of the joint account to the single account at the weekend hoping to avoid a few direct debtis I knew were coming out of the joint account.

I took a call from the bank on Monday to say that the Dublin account honoured the direct debits over the weekend as they took precedence and that the transfer across to the single account for the full amount, left their branch short. They asked would I transfer back over the balance.

If i'd put the whole 100% across I would have been goosed for the rest of the month so I put across 90% of it and left the 10% remaining in the single account.

Today I found the bank has taken the 10% back themselves, no questions or calls this time.

I'm wondering can they do that ? If they could, then why did they bother calling me at all asking me to do that. If they can't, do I have a right to complain and object ?

Am I completely wrong here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering what my rights are with my bank. I have 2 accounts with 1 bank; a Dublin joint account which everything goes through, and my own account in a county miles away from the capital.

on pay day, I transferred over the contents of the joint account to the single account at the weekend hoping to avoid a few direct debtis I knew were coming out of the joint account.

I took a call from the bank on Monday to say that the Dublin account honoured the direct debits over the weekend as they took precedence and that the transfer across to the single account for the full amount, left their branch short. They asked would I transfer back over the balance.

If i'd put the whole 100% across I would have been goosed for the rest of the month so I put across 90% of it and left the 10% remaining in the single account.

Today I found the bank has taken the 10% back themselves, no questions or calls this time.

I'm wondering can they do that ? If they could, then why did they bother calling me at all asking me to do that. If they can't, do I have a right to complain and object ?

Am I completely wrong here?

Some where, buried deep in the terms of conditions of the account, you will find that you agreed to give them this right over your accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

yes they can - as your request for transfer probably came after the direct debits were presented (may show up on your account later, but they are in the system before opening)

In the UK they even take from another account you hold in the bank - thankfully this doesn't seem to happen here.

To stop / not pay direct debits/standing orders, you need to do it about 3 days in advance.

btw - if the direct debits were not paid, the average charge per debit can be €25 (€10 from your bank and €15 from the supplier), so maybe this has saved you quite a few quid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I think thats right.

The only way you can stop them moving your money between your accounts is to have it in a different bank!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭camel jockey

Taxuser1 wrote: »

Nice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement