Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reverse Engineering HL Maths Papers

Options
  • 30-08-2013 8:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

I graduated a few years ago but did OL maths, because I didn't want to invest time in HL maths. Assuming I'm able for the questions, would it be possible for me to cover the course in a year and get an A if I don't do any other subjects (I have a job but in the evenings...)?

How predictable is the paper? How successful could one be if one just went through the past papers and mastered each type of question that comes up (leaving out additional options etc.) rather than studying it via the textbook?

Just want to get an idea of how doable this pipe dream is (it's required for a course that I'm considering in the UK).

P.S. Does anyone know if A-level Maths is more or less difficult? I could do that instead..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

stainluss wrote: »
    I graduated a few years ago but did OL maths, because I didn't want to invest time in HL maths. Assuming I'm able for the questions
    Fundamental problem here, FL maths and OL maths is such a huge gap, doesn't matter what you think, objectively speaking, If you did OL maths and think you're able for all the HL maths questions then you're wrong.

You'll need to spend <6 hours a week at least to cover the whole course by yourself, I can guarantee you will struggle with calculus without a tutor.

Just letting you know, it's not a joke or a pushover, it's tough stuff, even for the capable students and if you're not arsed to put in the time you won't get anything out of it. Sorry for being so strongly worded but it doesn't seem to me you've thought this out.

What did you major in in college?
    What grade did you get in OL maths?

If you want an A in HL then you're going to have to put in ridiculous hours without a tutor, especially if you done pass.

It's not going to be easy, think over it carefully.

Advertisement