Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stretches - What do you think?

Options
  • 29-08-2013 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

I went for my swim this evening and I proceeded to do a series of stretches before the main exercise. I was going at it and I started to get a few strange looks. Aside from there being no stretching area as such, by the pool, what I thought was strange was that I didn't see one person attempt anything that remotely looked like a warm up before they entered or left the pool.

I had been living over in Spain for the past while and at the swimming pools there it is a regular occurrence to see those who use them, participating in the said pre-swim exercises. It was my understanding from having read a bit about the sport that it was in one's best interest to give the muscles and other parts of our limbs as well as our hearts, a 'heads-up' as so to speak before jumping into the action.

So is it just me or do Irish people that exercise themselves seem a little too eager to get the blood pumping around them but at the risk of causing themselves some physical damage in the long run?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

I stretch before swimming. All the swimmers I coach stretch before getting into the water. I/we would to some warming up before stretching, so not to stretch on cold joints. This could be as simple as swinging your arms/shoulder, shaking out the legs.

Funny enough, no one else in the public sessions stretch. There is no specific stretching area but at the same time, I don't get funny looks, well besides the wearing speedo looks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭TO_ARTHUR!

The night, I started this thread, there had been a swimmers masters group up at the pool at the same time as me and perhaps what I should have said was what I thought was strange was that none of them appeared to participating in any stretching exercises.

I, myself only started stretching around about a year ago and I think that it has made a hell of a difference in how I would feel in the water and after the swim as well as a persistent shoulder ache clearing up fairly soon after taking up the exercises. A break of about a fortnight from the swimming also had it's effect, I am sure. I usually start off my routine with some arm movements that swings them in different directions before going on to do about five or six stretches for the limbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I've always just started with a few really slow laps. Gliding a lot, not pulling too hard on the stroke, gentle kicks. Always thought that would be just as good as, if not better than, stretches out of the water. But I see plenty stretching beforehand too. There are a few mats laid out where I swim.

As it happens, I've a bit of shoulder ache at the moment so maybe I SHOULD be stretching first!

I don't know where you swim TO_ARTHUR, but my pool is part of a gym so many who appear to get straight into it may well have just come from weight training or any other exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

I normally do a gentle 200 or 300 at the very start, almost like a catch up drill its so slow, and build up a little speed on the next 100. Once my HR has been clipping 100 for 5 minutes, I stop and stretch. Then After my main swim, just before my swim down, (same as the warm-up 5min duration) I do a gentle stretch again.
    And yes. It does help.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

I usually stretch a bit but in the chasnging rooms or just off by the showers. Some peolpe want to be watched while they stretch and I kinda dont understand that tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement