Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another 'which laptop' thread

Options
  • 29-08-2013 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭

Apologies in advance, I know there's a load of threads for the same thing but am a bit clueless on buying laptops! Have learned a few things from other threads but wonder if anyone can help with whether any of these are worth buying?

I need a laptop just for internet browsing; word, excel, powerpoint etc; and that's pretty much it! While I want to keep it as cheap as possible I do want one that'll last a good few years - think I've my current Dell around 8 or 9 years. I'm hoping for less than €500 if possible, the cheaper the better really. Some of these are slightly over but not by much.

Toshiba C850 - 750gb; 8gb; Intel Dual Core 2.2ghz (€450)

LENOVO Z500T - 1tb; 4gb; Intel® Core™ i5-3230M (2.6ghz with turbo boost to 3.2ghz) (€519)

Sony Fit 15 - 500gb; 4gb; Intel Core™ i3-3217U ; touchscreen (€529)

Asus V550CA - 1tb; 6gb; Intel Core i3-2365; touchscreen (€530)

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help! Would prefer to buy in a regular shop than online, although I know that'll prob cost me an extra few quid.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭madness98

I would say the Lenovo is the best from your list, they're well built as well so you'd get 8-9 years out of it, the same as your current one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Unless you want a touchscreen, get the Lenovo. Don't worry about the 4 GB RAM, system memory is easily upgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Thanks to you both. Got the laptop last weekend, I went with the cheapest one - the Toshiba. So far seems ok, Windows 8 takes a bit of getting used to but I'm just using classic shell so that's easier. Hopefully it'll last a while!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

sillysocks wrote: »
    I went with the cheapest one - the Toshiba.

Ouch.

You've got a Pentium processor there (which is not even of the current generation, the B960 is based on the older Sandy Bridge architecture), considering the performance, only 60 yoyos more for a Core i5 processor is actually a steal. A little research would have told you to stay away from it.

avtKU8g.jpg

jmk66Nj.jpg

If I were you I would return the laptop and get the Lenovo instead.

The processor is the most important criterion when you consider buying a laptop because, unlike the system memory and hard disk, it can't be upgraded (at least not that easy). So the Toshiba is anything but "cheap", it is rather overpriced. HN is selling a 15.6" Fujitsu Lifebook with a current Celeron Processor (CPUMark score 1882, similar to the older Pentium) and better graphics for €259.

Advertisement