Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)
Hi all, The AutoSave Draft feature is now disabled across the site. The decision to disable the feature was made via a poll last year. The delay in putting it in place was due to a bug/update issue. This should serve as a reminder to manually save your drafts if you wish to keep them. Thanks, The Boards Team.

Durbin Watson and Panel data

• 29-08-2013 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39 mickyboy

Hi boards.

I keep getting low DW stats for my panel data regressions. When I fix it using AR(1), Cochrane Orcutt, first differencing etc my coefficients become insignificant while DW approaches 2.

Just wondering if I should really be worried about DW in panel data.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭ Ostrom

Absolutely - autocorrelation can inflate standard errors, bias parameter estimates, and lead to erroneous inference. Did you try using alternative specifications? Autoregressive error models are one route, but using alternative lag combinations can soak up the serial correlation, and give you a little more information on the long-term effects.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭ andrew

Moved to the 'researcher' forum, since the marginal return on an extra day in the Economics forum was likely very low at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭ freeze4real

andrew wrote: »
    Moved to the 'researcher' forum, since the marginal return on an extra day in the Economics forum was likely very low at this stage

Haha I see what you did there.

I like it.

Advertisement