Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion timer (apt timer)

Options
  • 29-08-2013 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi - wonder if any electricians can give their second opinion.

Recently an electrician installed an "apt" timer switch just before the bath/sink switch for the immersion. I noticed that it says it is rated for approx 16 amps.

I know though that the MCB for the immersion is 20 amps. Is this OK or should the timer switch be protected against over drawing its rated 16 amps - for example could the immersion in a fault state draw 19 amps and potentially create a hazard.

I noticed that in a friends house they also have an apt switch but theirs is rated for 3000W which seems fine because their immerison's bath element only draws 2.85KW but again their MCB is 20amps for the immersion.

Is this Ok or should there be a fuse or something to protect the timers in a fault state from overdrawing their rated current? What's standard practice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

once it's suitably rated for the immersion it's ok

the flexes on some appliances like immersion(4*1.5) are also sized to match the imersion load and not the 20amp mcb

Advertisement