Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entitlements.....

Options
  • 29-08-2013 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Apologies, if this is the wrong foram.
    In 1995, I moved back home to look after my Father who had been diagnosed with terminal cancer. He died in 1998 (RIP). Shortly afterwards Mum had a stroke which left her with limited mobility. I look after Mum 24/7, while trying to hold onto my job.
    Last April she sufferd another stroke on top of which I was told she had Alzheimer's. I'm finding it very difficult to do my job and care for Mum.
    What I need to know is, am I entiled to anything beside home help, which didn't work out as Mum can be vey demanding. Since 1995 I have had no brake, no weekends or holidays. As I am working I didn't qualify for any grants to make the house easier for Mum to get around. I had to take out a lone which I'm finding hard to pay back. I would really welcome any advice please. Im afraid I will have to give up my job if that happens,we wont be able to live on the Carers Allowance as I have the loan to pay back. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

Hi OP, I'd like to give you some advice but I don't know enough to help! If you haven't contacted the Carer's association already, it might be worth explaining your situation to them. Contact no is 1800 240724. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cathorio

I have made several attempts to contact them with no luck...........I sent several emails too.
    I would like to thank you for your kindness in replying to my question.
    Kind regards
    K.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

Sorry to hear that.
    Perhaps you've tried citizen's advice or support@caringforcarers.org?

I will try again.......you are too kind. Love and Blessings dear friend.✨��✨

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

This may not be of much use to you but worth a try

If she has limited mobility and cannot drive can you apply for a Primary Medical Cert for her. You can get VRT/VAT reduction on cars etc and excise duty refund on petrol if she qualifies. You would be Car Tax Exempt also
    Is she on Invalidity Pension?
    Does she get the Household Benefits Package - Phone, TV Licence, Electricity.
    Have you been in touch with the Alzheimers Society in your areas for help and advice

Best of luck...she is lucky to have you

• Advertisement

Skippy2, I am shocked!!! I never knew I could get all those things. I will take your advice.
    My sincere appreciation for your advice.✨��✨

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

Just to clarify you "might" be entitled to some of them but all worth a try
    You could also apply to the DDAI - Disabled Drivers Association - for a Blue Parking Permit.
    This could only be used by you if you have your mother in the car but if she has limited mobility it can make life easier for trips out
    Some of those benefits can take a while to achieve
    What age is your mother?

skippy2 wrote: »
    Just to clarify you "might" be entitled to some of them but all worth a try
    You could also apply to the DDAI - Disabled Drivers Association - for a Blue Parking Permit.
    This could only be used by you if you have your mother in the car but if she has limited mobility it can make life easier for trips out
    Some of those benefits can take a while to achieve
    What age is your mother?
    Skippy2 I did get the Disabled Drivers Permit but that is it.
    Mum, will be 88 on her next birthday.
    I can't thank you enough for all your kindness.
    Enjoy your weekend.

Advertisement