Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

want old heating system replaced

Options
  • 29-08-2013 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could give me any idea of the amount of work in replacing an old gas heating system. . I can't give the amount of rads at there are 3 different types in the house, most of which are old with no shut off valve, so when the heating is needed in 1 room, its on in all of them, which is a pain. Also, the piping is gunbarrel, which I've heard is a nightmare to deal with. I was hoping to get the systems zoned as well. Any suggestions re good, reliable companies to do this would be appreciated. I did enquire off a man doing work 2 yrs ago in the house and he told me that minimum cost would be 14,000 euros (which is why it hasn't been done yet!), but I want to get a few quotes now as we are looking at getting a few jobs done at the same time, thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

mameadhbh wrote: »
    Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could give me any idea of the amount of work in replacing an old gas heating system. . I can't give the amount of rads at there are 3 different types in the house, most of which are old with no shut off valve, so when the heating is needed in 1 room, its on in all of them, which is a pain. Also, the piping is gunbarrel, which I've heard is a nightmare to deal with. I was hoping to get the systems zoned as well. Any suggestions re good, reliable companies to do this would be appreciated. I did enquire off a man doing work 2 yrs ago in the house and he told me that minimum cost would be 14,000 euros (which is why it hasn't been done yet!), but I want to get a few quotes now as we are looking at getting a few jobs done at the same time, thanks all

Impossible to say as you give no information on the house /system , how many rads , how many rooms , do you want it zoned ? I.e. upstairs ( if you have one :rolleyes:) downstairs and hot water , is the whole of the system getting replaced including boiler and all pipework .
    Can't reccomend anyone either as you don't give location , a little bit of info helps a great amount .

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mameadhbh

Apologies, living in north county Dublin, 10 rooms upstairs, large landing with no rads at all, 6 rooms downstairs. As I said, very hard to give amount of rads, we have 4 that are the more modern!!! rads where we can turn them of at the entry to the rad, there are 2 others types, 5 rads downstairs are old, long Runtal Rad radiators, 7 rooms have an older system, veryc lose to the floor, which goes continually around 2 or 3 walls of the room. As I said also, do want it zoned as if we want to heat one room, we end up heating 9 or 10. I am presuming since gunbarrel is so difficult to work with that all the pipes would need replacing too. I did also say that is was gas. I don't really have a clue about any of it, I've only lived in the house for over a year, but can't depend on the fella to make any enqueries for us, I'm 5 months waiting for the electrician that he contacted, to call to put in new sockets in some rooms!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Sorry when you said no shut off valves I presumed you were talking about rad valves , zoning a system is a different thing altogether , it sounds like a very large house so would require a site visit to go through your options , gun barrel is not too hard to work with but it is always advised to replace if funds allow , a few of the lads on here cover your area so mabey one or two will pm you if your not repiping the whole lot , make sure whoever is doing the work powerflushes the system

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

PM sent mamedhbh.

Advertisement