Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge fireball in Mexico to rival 1972 Grant Teton Event

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

How high up is that?

Did it strike the earth or break before it then?

very cool vid :)

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

hmmm--another video has surfaced

This has stirred a bit of a debate in the meteor community with some people thinking it may be an elaborate hoax.And it would indeed be elaborate if it turns out to be a hoax.

Not sure what to think but here is a video sent in to Dirk Ross who owns the blogsite referenced in my first msg which picks some holes in the vids.

Time will reveal all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It looks dubious. No brightness change, no flickering, the contrail is perfect... it looks like CGI. Also, no exclamations from pedestrians, camera work is smooth... dodgy, very dodgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

It says... object seems to stop in the air. It could be fake, but take into account in how a video camera works and automatically adjusts to objects ...

I have recorded aircraft on a camcorder and when you follow the aircraft and you slightly shake the camera you can see the aircraft stopping/moving backwards and other strange anomalies like an example below... watch in full-screen.

Forward to time 1:00 and the aircraft zooms out but watch closely where the aircraft is located and you will see it zipping in and out of the stems of the tree in the wrong place of the sky.

Maybe those numerous video recordings are fake, but in relation to the object/meteor stopping in mid air, well that could just be a camera glitch.

It looks dubious. No brightness change, no flickering, the contrail is perfect... it looks like CGI. Also, no exclamations from pedestrians, camera work is smooth... dodgy, very dodgy.

Those points you mention, no brightness change, no flickering and perfect contrail are all the same in the Grand Teton event and I know that was real because I know some people who were there on the day and witnessed it.

You have to remember this object is brighter than the sun (as seen from Earth) and is moving at 30-40,000 mph so the contrail will be perfectly straight as it's crossing the full sky in mere seconds.

I think it's real but the scientists are very skeptical. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

• Advertisement

zenno. I don't see a similar effect here on this aircraft vid.I see the plane go behind the tree and come out further up the branch???
    thanks for your input though.

Those points you mention, no brightness change, no flickering and perfect contrail are all the same in the Grand Teton event and I know that was real because I know some people who were there on the day and witnessed it.

You have to remember this object is brighter than the sun (as seen from Earth) and is moving at 30-40,000 mph so the contrail will be perfectly straight as it's crossing the full sky in mere seconds.

I think it's real but the scientists are very skeptical. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Well, in reality, it's a scientists job to figure this kind of thing out, it's their job, so they should do their job instead of being sceptical. They should study it and come to a scientific conclusion.

Scientists should be the open-minded one's because that's what a real scientist is.

zenno. I don't see a similar effect here on this aircraft vid.I see the plane go behind the tree and come out further up the branch???
    thanks for your input though.

It was just an example of automatic video capture anomalies as to show that objects can deviate in an odd way in the recording, but if you look closer you can see the aircraft move out, then in, and out again and swerve up.

This was just an example in regards to this video text commentary... "object seems to stop in the air"... @ time 2:50 Camera glitch i think.

zenno, I'm not seeing this swerving you're alluding to but maybe someone else can confirm

as for the scientists, they can only work with what they're given and information is scant on these videos.What they have worked out is that the reported time does not collate with the angle of the sun and apparently some of the angles are contradictory.There is more number crunching going on and searches for more evidence.They will get to the bottom of it, that much is certain

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

zenno, I'm not seeing this swerving you're alluding to but maybe someone else can confirm

as for the scientists, they can only work with what they're given and information is scant on these videos.What they have worked out is that the reported time does not collate with the angle of the sun and apparently some of the angles are contradictory.There is more number crunching going on and searches for more evidence.They will get to the bottom of it, that much is certain

I saw what Zenno was talking about :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

I see nothing remotely debunking in the videos, looks real to me. Cant even see why someone would fake this on several videos independent from each other.

Camera glitches combine with a comparison (shadows) with the Russian meteorite which was almost on top of where the videos were recording, really no compelling debunking here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

zenno wrote: »
    Well, in reality, it's a scientists job to figure this kind of thing out, it's their job, so they should do their job instead of being sceptical. They should study it and come to a scientific conclusion.

Scientists should be the open-minded one's because that's what a real scientist is.

You know what skeptical means right?

Advertisement