Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clip on mics for interviews

Options
  • 29-08-2013 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hey guys just wondering can anyone help me. Recently i purchased this rode mic http://www.amazon.co.uk/RODE-VideoMic-Directional-On-Camera-Microphone/dp/B004K8WPUQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1377780205&sr=8-2&keywords=rode but im still not that happy with the results. I find the sound is just not professional enough for interviews. Im not the best with audio so i dont know if or how much editing is to be done with audio after shooting?

I have a few interviews lined up and im looking to get a good but not expensive clip on mic as i like the sound they give off, so if anyone knows of good ones or what i might be doing wrong with the rode mic id really appreciate it if you could help. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

What is the mic plugged into? Is it directly into a DSLR?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭stedabee

CinSoots wrote: »
    What is the mic plugged into? Is it directly into a DSLR?

Ye its plugged directly into my canon 60D. I was shooting with the niffy 50 so im wondering is it just because i was 2 meters away?

stedabee wrote: »
    Ye its plugged directly into my canon 60D. I was shooting with the niffy 50 so im wondering is it just because i was 2 meters away?

Nah, it's because the sound recording on the 60d is sh1te :)

The ideal solution for you is to either hook up the Rode on a boom (monopod or something) with it attached to a Zoom H1 (about €90 or less) or similar and record the sound separately.

OR

Get a cheapo lav mike and attach it to a Zoom H1 and record sound this way. In both instances you will need to sync up the sound in post so make sure you use a clapper to make it simple. The sound from either of these methods will be millions of times better than the 60D.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭stedabee

CinSoots wrote: »
    Nah, it's because the sound recording on the 60d is sh1te :)

The ideal solution for you is to either hook up the Rode on a boom (monopod or something) with it attached to a Zoom H1 (about €90 or less) or similar and record the sound separately.

OR

Get a cheapo lav mike and attach it to a Zoom H1 and record sound this way. In both instances you will need to sync up the sound in post so make sure you use a clapper to make it simple. The sound from either of these methods will be millions of times better than the 60D.

Ok Brilliant, believe or not i just ordered a boom to see if that helps which it should slightly. Ill do some homework on the zoom h1 and cheap lav mikes and hopefully this will solve my problem. Thanks a mill for your time and advice!

Have a look here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtwkjwaTozw - and you can see the differences between the DSLR and the Zoom H1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

i have a couple of Yamaha Pocketrak C24's they work great for audio capture, i'm not sure are they still available, might be able to get them on ebay.
    I've also got a Sony ICD-PX333 M digital voice recorder, a cheaper option and includes a lavalier microphone, it's mp3 only but not bad for the price.
    This place Ultradisk is good for microphones etc.

:)

I have one of those Sony's as well although mine didn't come with a lav??

I use it and this lav to record the vows at a wedding. For the price the sound is excellent although it's not as good as the Zoom H1.

Advertisement