Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Angling in barleycove, co cork

Options
  • 29-08-2013 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Heading camping next week and looking for spots beach fishing with 2 young kids. Any suggestions please on where to dig bait and marks also? Times etcsl

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

I've fished around there a bit and found the fishing great but depending on how young/old the kids are some areas are better than others in terms of having to climb rocks along the shore etc.

This site gives details of the best marks etc

http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/shore%20-%20cork%20-%20west.htm

If you go to the beach on the way over to Crookhaven at low tide there are any number of lug worms to be dug and you might get a few rag worms too. We've also found a few small crab which are great bait too.

Off Barleycove beach itself I've caught some nice flounder (lug worm & crab), grey mullet (on bread) and managed to land some gilt head bream (lug worm, rag worm & crab) too. We're normally there earlier in the year so not sure if they get runs of mackeral or not. Also if you can get over to the left hand side of the beach where the fresh water runs out there is meant to be bass but I've no experience of that.

If you go up on the road to the Mizen head you can see the deeper channels across the beach and we've found if you can cast into them they produce better results and you don't necessarily have to cast out too far.

Tight lines

Advertisement