Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winning Streak

Options
  • 29-08-2013 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭

Did anyone see the TV ads for the new Winning Streak scratchcards recently or did you see it in a local newsagent?

If you did see them; can I ask why would they say something like "Win 5 x €50,000 in prizes or up to €500,000 to be won on grand prize wheel on TV game show."

Will someone please tell me what the "5 x €50,000" bit means in plain English? Does it suggest that you or I would win up to €250,000 if I buy the scratchcard?

I don't buy them very often but that bit has gotten me really confused.

They also have got rid of the Dream Maker format of the show.

They are reverting back to an old format where it will call players from home to win a prize instead of going into the studio.

The apparent name for it is called "Prize Call". Players can send stubs like
    C-A-L-L to enter the game & win a maximum of €50,000.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

For anyone who is interested in looking at the marketing for Winning Streak

Take a look at this.

http://www.lottery.ie/en/games/how-to-play/how-to-play-scratchcards/Winning-Streak/

One has to be disappointed about the lack of creativity within the National Lottery in regards to this game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

For anyone who is interested in looking at the marketing for Winning Streak

Take a look at this.

http://www.lottery.ie/en/games/how-to-play/how-to-play-scratchcards/Winning-Streak/

Jeez, was the text on that page prepared by someone who flunked Leaving Cert English?! :eek: :rolleyes:

Also, Winning Streak most certainly isn't Europe's longest-running and most successful TV game show. I wouldn't be too surprised if the folks at the National Lottery haven't come across Wetten, Dass...? (the original German version of You Bet!, on air since 1981) or Des Chiffres et Des Lettres (the original French version of Countdown, on air since 1972)... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Will someone please tell me what the "5 x €50,000" bit means in plain English? Does it suggest that you or I would win up to €250,000 if I buy the scratchcard?

Over the course of the run of this version of the scratch card, there will be only five €50k prize cards printed.

Decided I'd bump this thread, rather than start a new one, to discuss the current "season" of WS and its scratchcard... :o

As I'm sure most people already know, this "season" the top prize on the wheel is €1 million.

Not only do the folks at National Lottery HQ still claim that the 'Streak is Europe's longest-running TV game show (they obviously haven't looked at this thread), and that this is a new season (when in truth it's more like a half-season, as there isn't a significant break for Christmas), but they also claim that "players will have the opportunity to win the highest ever amount of prize money on the show".

Well, technically, this claim is true - a player who spins the top prize will, of course, end up with €1 million plus his/her winnings from earlier in the episode, whereas Therese Croarkin won the thousand thousand and nothing else on the unfortunately-titled "Millionaire" special on New Year's Eve 2003:
    THE celebratory New Year's champagne was opened early by a woman who has become the very first Winning Streak Millionaire.

Therese Croarkin, from Cortolvin View, Monaghan, could not believe her luck after she won the million-euro prize in a nail-biting finish to the pre-recorded show, to be broadcast tonight.

Therese works as a receptionist in Monaghan General Hospital and has been married to her husband, Tony, a plumber, for the past 18 years. They have four children: Claire, Orla, Anthony and Thomas.

"I'd like to wish all the people who supported me a very happy New Year. I just bought my Winning Streak ticket like everyone else and this is an unbelievable outcome," Therese said.

Her fellow players in the finish were Yvonne Dunne from Kilkenny, who won €50,000, and Kitty McCarthy from Limerick, who won €58,000. A total of 48 finalists made it through to the Winning Streak Millionaire show at the Helix in Dublin, watched by an audience of 650 people.

Therese was the first player to ever win €1m on the special New Year's Eve edition of the gameshow. Overall, over €1.6m was won by the 48 players on the show.

Host Derek Mooney selected three players each week on the Winning Streak gameshow since the season began in September. The final three players for the Helix show were selected last Saturday.

But I get the impression that they have actually succeeded in forgetting about this special edition... :eek: :eek:

Surely they haven't?!? It was their idea, they produced the appropriate scratchcards, they promoted the thing quite heavily for around four months, they helped RTE with the production as they've always done - and Therese became a millionaire on screen, unlike any Lotto winner...

Anyway, to the scratchcard for this latest million-euro offering - which simply says, "Win up to €1 million on the TV game show!"

Yep, such is the big deal they've made of this that they haven't mentioned the top instant prize (which, as last "season", is €50,000).

On the stub, meanwhile, is one of the letters 'U', 'S' and 'A'; sending off all three enters you into a draw for a "once-in-a-lifetime" trip to San Francisco.

Once in a lifetime if you want to see the Golden Gate Bridge accompanied by Marty and Sinead, I presume... :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mazp123

hows it goen , im just wondering, can you actualy win 50000 on a scratch card. i have never heard it done.ive never heard anyting over 50 euro , also , you write your email address on back of scratch card if you get 3 stars, and says do you wish to be contacted about prizes or lotto up dates or something like that, but i never get contacted which makes me wonder do they even recieve the scratch card

• Advertisement

mazp123 wrote: »
    hows it goen , im just wondering, can you actualy win 50000 on a scratch card.

I don't see why you can't...

It's just that the bigger the prize, the fewer the number of scratchcards on which that prize can be won.

So there are plenty of scratchcards on which you can win, say, €5 - but fewer on which you can win €50, fewer still on which you can win €500, and only a handful on which you can win €50,000.

It's the same in the UK.

Bump again! :o:o:D

Another new season of WS, another new scratchcard...

...which, just like the last one, says "Win up to €1 million on the TV game show!"

Because Griffin and co are so unhappy about not giving away €1 million on the show last "season", that they've decided to keep trying until Christmas at least.

(In my opinion, a season of WS lasts from the end of the summer to the start of the next summer. But the opinion of the National Lottery and RTE is that the end of the summer until Christmas, and the New Year until the start of the next summer, are two separate seasons. Hence the quotation marks around the word 'season', and the careful wording, in the above sentence.)

The scratchcard still has to differ noticeably from its immediate predecessor, though - so this one is blue and red, instead of black and orange.

The letters on the stubs are different, too - well, two of them, anyway. 'A' survives, now joined by 'C' and 'R'. Sending off all three enters you into a draw to appear on next week's show and play the brilliantly-named "Car or Cash".

Meanwhile, the National Lottery and RTE are unsurprisingly sticking to their claim that the 'Streak is Europe's longest-running TV game show. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It's attracted the attention of the excellent Iain Weaver on UKGameshows.com...

We were surprised to read RTÉ's statement that "Winning Streak is Europe's longest-running TV gameshow". Mostly because it's a complete load of cobblers. Our definition of game show is broad enough to include the Eurovision Song Contest, and that regular programme (established 1956) classes itself as a game show. Winning Streak began in 1990, when Countdown was almost eight years old, A Question of Sport was 20, and Have I Got News for You was one week away from launch.

If RTÉ is being pedantic, it could argue that none of these are "classic" game shows in a narrow definition. We'd like to see their objection to Questions Pour un Champion, going for gold in France every blimmin' day since 7 November 1988. We contend that Julian Lepers has a greater claim to host Europe's longest-running TV game show. And we've not looked at evidence beyond the UK and France.

400px-Lepers_julian.jpg

http://www.ukgameshows.com/ukgs/Weaver%27s_Week_2014-08-31

They're also claiming that Marty and Sinead are "popular TV game show hosts".

This claim might be true of Marty - he's hosted WS for five years now, and he hosted Fame & Fortune beforehand. Plus everyone knows who he is.

Sinead, however, has only hosted game shows for two years, starting with the last two series of the Big Money Game alongside Brian Ormond. And I doubt she's as popular and well-known as Marty is...

• Registered Users Posts: 47 DG Leixlip

Any idea which of the 3 letters are hardest to get this time? (For the car or cash draw). I think it usually works that one of the letters is tricky to get??

Sinead Kennedy's voice does sound very hoarse tonight.

Was she speaking too much over the week to get her voice this bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Her voice is screwed

Hi-Low share was pretty bad tonight with the 5 contestants winning only €20k between them giving themselves a modest €4k each to add to their winnings.

The only person who doubled from €10k to €20k was a man who used to be senior Garda who used to be Padraig Flynn's security guard.

There was a bit of news from Marty Whelan on tonight's Winning Streak that there is a new game called "Million Euro Challenge" or something along those lines which is to become a scratchcard for a new lottery game show.

There was a bit of news from Marty Whelan on tonight's Winning Streak that there is a new game called "Million Euro Challenge" or something along those lines which is to become a scratchcard for a new lottery game show.

As soon as I posted on Saturday, I found out news being confirmed from the National Lottery this evening that Winning Streak is to finish for good at the end of this year with the final show being broadcast on Saturday the 27th of December.

The new TV gameshow and scratchcard from Million Euro Challenge is displayed here in this link below.

https://www.lottery.ie/en/Games/Game-Info/How-to-play-Scratchcards/Million-Euro-Challenge

It's actually ending for good??!?!?!??!?!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Whaaaaaaat??????

The season ends 27th December.....no sign of it being for good thank god

Ha, ha, ha - of course the folks at Montrose and Abbey Street wouldn't decide to end the 'Streak for good just like that.

Instead, it looks like they're moving it to the summer.

RTE denied media reports that Marty Whelan and Sinead Kennedy were being replaced by [Nicky] Byrne on Winning Streak.

Instead the state broadcaster confirmed that the show would be moving to a summer slot.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/winning-streak-off-new-year-schedule-as-nicky-byrne-to-take-saturday-nights-30812255.html

A spokesperson for RTE confirmed that [Million Euro Challenge] would be launched in January.

However, she said that reports of Winning Streak being revamped were wide of the mark and that current hosts Marty Whelan and Sinead Kennedy would remain involved when it returns.

"We look forward to Winning Streak and Marty and Sinead returning later in 2015," she added.

http://www.herald.ie/news/former-westlife-star-nicky-to-front-new-lottery-game-show-30812852.html

Marty Whelan has “no worries” about the future of ‘Winning Streak’, which has been moved to RTE’s summer schedule, describing it as an “institution”.

Speaking at the Irish Heart Foundation’s fifth annual Life After Stroke Awards, Whelan said: “I don’t mind moving to the summer.”

Whelan told Independent.ie that the lottery’s new licence owners, Premier Lotteries Ireland, wanted a “shiny new show”.

However, he said it would be wrong not to bring ‘Winning Streak’ back, which he has been presenting since 2009.

“I think it would be a mistake if anyone said for a minute not to bring ‘Winning Streak’ back. It would actually make no sense. We are coming back. We don’t know what our duration is, but we are back later in the year. It’s Sinead and myself in a revitalised ‘Winning Streak’ as there is every few years."

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/marty-whelan-the-lotterys-new-owners-wanted-a-shiny-new-show-30814635.html

In fact, Marty would be moving back to the summer - having hosted Fame & Fortune during the warmer months in the early and mid-2000s. ;)

As for this new show? The cynic in me says that its creation isn't just because of the National Lottery's partial change of ownership - it's also because Griffin (he's still the chief executive, in case anyone might be wondering) and his men still want to give away a million euro on Saturday night RTE1, but they know that they can't keep trying to do so on the 'Streak. :o :rolleyes: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Millionaire challenge, What a load of rubbish, its the last time ill buy a scratch card. People walking out with 6-10k . The stub draw, Bringing 3 people in for 10 k , only one gets the prize. This is definitely a cutbacks exercise by the National lottery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Sounds like the nail in the coffin for The Million Euro Challenge national lottery game show hosted by Nicky Byrne as Winning Streak has now officially been announced as continuing into the Autumn as well according RTÉ TV last night.

http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2015/0723/716759-million-euro-challenge-could-be-facing-the-axe/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

None of these shows are as good as The Big Money Game which sadly aired for its last time in 2013! One of my favourite shows ever... The old Winning Streaks are much better also.

Advertisement