Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abandoned Bank Account

Options
  • 29-08-2013 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm fairly ashamed of this but anyway:

3 years ago, like many other Irish people, I left the country in search of work. I've settled into a nice country and the past 3 years have been pretty hectic and exciting. I've only returned to Ireland to visits friends and family and not once did I use my Irish bank account(I took all my money out before leaving, which wasn't much) within the 3 years I've been an expat. At this point I've forgotten my pin code!

I've only recently realised that my account has been abandoned for 3 years with zero activity. I don't plan to return to Ireland any time soon as I've just enrolled into university and now I'm worrying about my account being in the minus due to quarterly fees etc. Does anybody know what happens to bank accounts in Ireland if they've been abandoned for a certain amount of time? Does the bank shut it down automatically?

I would contact the bank in question but to be honest, I'm terrified of what answer they'd give me haha :D

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

The account normally goes dormant. It would still be open but no transactions would be allowed etc. If statements are returned and they try contact you to no avail it can go dormant also.

After 7-11 years depending on the bank it can be closed off. If there are funds in the account it can be claimed back etc.

If there is a debit amount and this is due to fees most banks would write it off and close the account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lizmotron

Thanks a lot for your help!

Advertisement