Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake sunglasses, bogus websites advertised on Facebook

Options
  • 29-08-2013 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi, My girlfreind saw these sites advertised on Facebook yesterday and ordered some sunglasses, before confirming with me if they were ok:

http://www.rayban-ireland.com/

I know now they are fake sites and am now worried if we'll be able to cancel or if they'll do something with the credit card details.

Would anyone else know anything about these sites or have ordered from them? I think she's going to cancel her credit card today. There were other sites advertised too. Being on Facebook we both though they might be ok originally.

http://www.oakleys-ireland.com/

http://www.likedevelop.com/

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,289 ✭✭✭✭L1011

All fake. If Customs get wind of them they'll be destroyed on import (albeit they do usually miss stuff).

If you notice the Facebook ads, they all have odd characters in rather than letters for the brandname - Facebook don't manually approve ads, they just run automated filters to remove obviously dodgy ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Sunglasses for 18.63 euro on rayban-ireland are selling at 150 euro on eBay .

So it does sound too good to be true .

They do accept all major credit cards and paypal , so if you used paypal , you will have protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭andreas_220D

Sunglasses for 18.63 euro on rayban-ireland are selling at 150 euro on eBay .

So it does sound too good to be true .

They do accept all major credit cards and paypal , so if you used paypal , you will have protection.
    Will you have protecetion even if it's a fake? Would not Paypal then support selling/buying faked goods? I could imagine that Paypal refuses protection once they notice that it's faked goods.

did you pay through paypal ?

Of course you have online buyer protection and if the customs seize your item as was stated above , you will certainly win your case , as the seller will be unable to provide proof of successful delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Can't stand Facebook as, apart from its user unfriendliness, it's awash with con artists and spammers. I have three Facebook accounts but use it very little and I'm sure that I'm not unique - that being the case I wonder what the true usership of the site is? A style over substance paper tiger that will, hopefully, implode sooner rather than later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭christ on a bike!

Can't stand Facebook as, apart from its user unfriendliness, it's awash with con artists and spammers. I have three Facebook accounts but use it very little and I'm sure that I'm not unique - that being the case I wonder what the true usership of the site is? A style over substance paper tiger that will, hopefully, implode sooner rather than later.

Yet you have 3 accounts!?
    The people who have just one account and use it to see what their friends are up to the odd time like it just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Yep, one to protect a business name from scammers, one to use when I want my identity to be hidden and a third for when I need access to certain pages that require you to sign up to Facebook. And just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Bohser

did you pay through paypal ?

My girlfriend paid for a few of them for herself & her cousin. I doubt they used paypal on the site. She cancelled the next morning and I haven't heard anything since.

Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If she used her VISA DEBIT card she may have a hope of a chargeback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Bohser

She cancelled her card.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

thats good, but that doesn't mean she cannot do a chargeback, was it a VISA or a VISA debit card?

Advertisement