Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half of a five Euro note

Options
  • 29-08-2013 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭

I have one half of a torn five euro note that's been sitting in my drawer for years. Is it completely useless or could it still be used as legal tender or exchanged for a proper note?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 257 ✭✭Driveby Dogboy

I have one half of a torn five euro note that's been sitting in my drawer for years. Is it completely useless or could it still be used as legal tender or exchanged for a proper note?

Is it the big half or the small half?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

If it has the serial number i believe you may be able to take it to a bank (central bank only?) and exchange it for a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭haveabanana

Thanks, I was just on the Central Bank's website and they will exchange it if you've more than 50%. I think what I have is just over 50% so fingers crossed. Should keep me going til payday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

so does that mean I could go in with a rake of €50's cut in half and double my money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

godtabh wrote: »
    so does that mean I could go in with a rake of €50's cut in half and double my money?

It has to be over 50%.
    So they'd give you 50 for the one that is 51% but nothing for the 49% piece.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I did this before.
    You fill in a form, send it off and they'll credit your bank account once they've checked it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭camel jockey

godtabh wrote: »

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Thanks, I was just on the Central Bank's website and they will exchange it if you've more than 50%. I think what I have is just over 50% so fingers crossed. Should keep me going til payday.

So what happens if I split a €50 note exactly in the middle. Can I go in at two different times and get a €50 each?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭camel jockey

Doyler92 wrote: »
    So what happens if I split a €50 note exactly in the middle. Can I go in at two different times and get a €50 each?

:rolleyes: Since when was 50% the same as OVER 50%?

Advertisement