Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R.I.P. Cliff Morgan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

"Brilliant. Brilliant. Oh brilliant.."

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭OldRio

RIP
    Another great voice of sports commentory gone.
    Over the last few years it seems a golden generation of voices has passed away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

• Registered Users Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Not many of the younger fans would know of the brilliance of the Welsh backs in the old flung days; the best way to describe them would be a team of BOD's. Of these Morgan was one of the best fly half's ever, captaining both country and the Lions in 1955. In 2009 he was inducted into the IRB Hall of Fame, an apt reward for a legendary player.Cliff_Morgan_2655976b.jpg

Outside of the game worked for the BBC and was the original captain on A Question of Sport and he did a bit of commentary work....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Loved the voice, loved the accent. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Midnight64

When that try was being scored I was stuck on a broken down bus on the M1 on the way to the game. Gutted!! His commentary certainly did it justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭phog

Love the passion that the Welsh bring to rugby internationals and Morgan really made some games a great occasion in his commentary. Sadly, I can't recall him as a player but having seen some of the tributes on twitter and elsewhere he seems to have been part of the great Welsh Teams that caused us so much hurt in the 5 Nations.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CorsendonkX

Didn't he play for Bective? I know his first wife was Irish, one of the first Aer Lingus air hostesses.

Always loved his sports show on Radio 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Didn't he play for Bective? I know his first wife was Irish, one of the first Aer Lingus air hostesses.

Always loved his sports show on Radio 4.

He did play for Bective (1955-6) with team dubbed 'Morgan Rangers' and his first wife Nuala died very suddenly in 1999 on the eve of the Rugby World Cup. They had been married for 45 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Well Aaron Ramsey did score in the 'gentleman's game played by thugs' match last night so some bad news was to be expected.

RIP the game has lost another of the greats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Didn't know him as a player, before my time watching rugby. His commentary on "that try" chimed perfectly with it's brilliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

even I'm not old eneough to remember him play , but my dad said he was one of the best , and that is good eneough for me
    R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CorsendonkX

The great man in action against Ireland in 1955 playing at 13, scores a try too

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/special-cardiff-wales-v-ireland/query/cliff+morgan

Notice the Welsh number 14 throwing in at lineouts and under arm at that and the Irish number 11 throwing in one handed like a cricket bowler.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭OldRio

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/special-cardiff-wales-v-ireland/query/cliff+morgan

Notice the Welsh number 14 throwing in at lineouts and under arm at that and the Irish number 11 throwing in one handed like a cricket bowler.

Thanks for that link. Brilliant bit of film.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Midnight64

Brilliant footage, thank you. BOD would have been proud of a try like that.

Advertisement