Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Membership Query

Options
  • 29-08-2013 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

I've recently moved to a new area and there is only one Gym. They are only offering two membership options:
    Annual (€600eur)
    Monthly DD (€56 p/m)

Ideally I would like to pay it all up front and get it out of the way but with rent etc I just don't have that kind of cash spare. I have offered to pay the monthly charge with cash, however they refused saying I must set up a Direct Debit. I don't have a bank account as I use a credit union who unfortunately don't have DD capabilities.

Are the Gym allowed to insist on a Direct Debit? I don't see why I should have to have a bank account to use their service, or are they covering themselves with the Annual Payment option?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

I think you need a proper current account..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

They can ask for payment in penny jellies if they want. At the end of the day though, you don't have to pay them that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Anonymous Deflector

They can ask for payment in penny jellies if they want. At the end of the day though, you don't have to pay them that.

I know you were probably joking but a company has to accept cash as payment. My question is are they covering themselves with the annual payment option or would they have to accept cash for the monthly amount also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

It has to accept cash as payment of a debt. There is no debt here.
    You wish to enter into a contract with them for the use of their services. If they stipulate as part of that contract that they want to be paid in penny jellies on a monthly basis, then you have two choices, pay them their jelly beans on a monthly basis, or not enter into contract with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I know you were probably joking but a company has to accept cash as payment.

They do not have to accept cash. It is their service and they can outline the methods of payment.

From a business perspective, handling cash is riskier, plus there are additional steps required when logging cash receipts in whatever system they use.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your replies.

I will set up a RABO Direct savings account, these allow standing orders so I expect this will work.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Thanks for your replies.

I will set up a RABO Direct savings account, these allow standing orders so I expect this will work.

Make sure Rabo allow Direct Debits .... which are different from standing orders. ;)

Paulw wrote: »
    Make sure Rabo allow Direct Debits .... which are different from standing orders. ;)

Rabo only allow SO's, assume this is what the gym will use as it's the same amount each month, I'll check with them anyway. I should have wrote SO's above and not DD's. Always manage to get the two confused

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

No, the gym will require Direct Debit, not Standing Order. In this case, Rabo will not be good enough for what the gym requires.

DD - the company make a demand for payment. The amount may vary or it may be the same. Your bank then pay the requested amount, since you have agreed to pay by direct debit.

SO - You send the same amount every month to a company. No demand for payment is involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

dudara wrote: »
    They do not have to accept cash. It is their service and they can outline the methods of payment.

From a business perspective, handling cash is riskier, plus there are additional steps required when logging cash receipts in whatever system they use.

Not just that but if you're paying cash monthly, there's nothing stopping you from quitting after 3 months whereas a 12 month contract has a DD attached and if you paid the full amount up front, there's no need for additional payments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

I know you were probably joking but a company has to accept cash as payment.

Even our local Bank wont accept cash on Wednesday's & Friday's :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You don't have a bank account, yet are willing to set one up and opted for a savings account? Why?

Advertisement