Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BA (Hons) in Business - DBS

Options
  • 29-08-2013 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has completed the BA (Hons) in Business
    evening degree with Dublin Business School?

I recently attended the open evening with a view to finding out more about the Professional Diploma in Management Studies and the people I spoke to recommended the degree course to me.

I've looked at testimonials online but these all seem to be affliated with DBS so am looking for an unbiased opinion.
    Also any information on what the course is like, workload etc would also be appreciated! :)

Apologies if this has been posted previously!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Hi, I'm about to start my last year in BA (Hons) Business Information Systems in DBS, also part time. A lot of the modules would be the same as for the course you are considering, especially during the first two years. I'm quite happy with it, the workload is manageable, especially during the first two years. The only thing that's annoyed me is that most of the continuous assessment is done via group assignments and there hardly any individual essays or projects. This might suit some people though I guess, but it can be tricky to arrange meetings etc. if you study part time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 stardoll81

miezekatze wrote: »
    Hi, I'm about to start my last year in BA (Hons) Business Information Systems in DBS, also part time. A lot of the modules would be the same as for the course you are considering, especially during the first two years. I'm quite happy with it, the workload is manageable, especially during the first two years. The only thing that's annoyed me is that most of the continuous assessment is done via group assignments and there hardly any individual essays or projects. This might suit some people though I guess, but it can be tricky to arrange meetings etc. if you study part time.
    Thanks I really appreciate the feedback and good to know that about the continuous assessement also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 runner76

hi miezekatze, can you give me more details on the business information systems, just about to start, been out of collage for 16 years, is it a difficult course?? any recommendations?? whats the lectures like???

thanks!

Hi, the level 1 modules are actually the same for all business courses in DBS, that's in first year and half your modules in second year. They are all fairly basic - economics, maths, some basic marketing, an IT-related module. After that it gets a bit more demanding, but it's doable.

I think the key to getting good grades is regular attendance, more than anything else. If you don't miss too many lectures, you should usually be able to get a reasonable grade. The course material is all available online, but especially for Information Systems you need to try and attend lectures as regularly as possible as some are more practical (e.g. programming) and if you miss too many of them it's hard to keep up.

Don't worry about being out of college for a long time, I think you'll find that a lot of people on your course will be in the same situation. :) I went back after almost 10 years and I was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 reagdoc

Hi miezekatze,

I have started the BA(Hons) Business Information Systems this year and I see what you mean regarding the group work.
    Is it so for the first 2 years only or is there group work each years?
    I am the same, I don't mind working after work and school, but organizing myself with someone else's schedule as well...

• Advertisement

Hi, I've had at 2 or 3 group assignments out of 4 modules each year. I don't really mind them that much this year though, as they seem to be projects where it actually makes sense to work on them as a group. I've found that SkyDrive/Google Drive/etc. and Skype make things a lot easier and you don't always have to meet up in person.

Advertisement