Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulated Conservatory Roof, Yes/No?

Options
  • 29-08-2013 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I have got a quote for an Insulated tongue & groove Conservatory Ceiling Kestrel PVC which sits underneath the existing Polycarbonate roof. Ideally I know replacing the conservatory with a Sunroom would be the best thing to do but in the absence of sufficient funds I am just wondering has anybody done this just to get use out of the conservatory in the Winter months and does it retain the heat?

I have received a quote of €1300 for a 11 x 12 Conservatory.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

I have got a quote for an Insulated tongue & groove Conservatory Ceiling Kestrel PVC which sits underneath the existing Polycarbonate roof. Ideally I know replacing the conservatory with a Sunroom would be the best thing to do but in the absence of sufficient funds I am just wondering has anybody done this just to get use out of the conservatory in the Winter months and does it retain the heat?

I have received a quote of €1300 for a 11 x 12 Conservatory.

Sounds too cheap, to be of any benefit. However I am not familiar with the Kestrel PVC, to which you refer.

I am assuming by Tongue & Groove, you mean Timber ?
    Insulated, OK
    what do you mean by '' sits underneath the existing Poly Roof.''

If something is screwed up into the existing rafters, avoid, it will leak.

Lots of cheap and cheerful Conservatory to Sunroom offers out there, most are a waste of money.

Can you post a link to any details of the system being quoted for here

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Blonde Cena

No its not timber uPVC heres link to website SNIP

Not sure about the screwing in bit?

Mod Edit: Please don't link to a business, read the charter it's not allowed for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

The pvc cladding you mention to put on the inside, is that insulated or just a covering for putting insulation into a ceiling void created with the sheeting?

Its PVC sealed tongue & groove panelling, there was no insulation mentioned. Very little void as it sits practically flush with the exisitng polycarbonate roof

Will it look something like this?

• Advertisement

Yes. Exactly

O.K. so two things you need to find out.
    Is there insulation, behind the Cladding, and if so how thick is it
    And how do they propose fixing it to the underside of the existing Poly roof.

If there is no insulation under behind the cladding do you assume it is a waster of time?

•Blackfriar anti solar paint To Glass Or Polycarbonate roof
    •Double Bubble/Double Foil SFBA 2/2 Insulation ISO 9001:2000 Internally fitted with Hemp Layer
    •Kestrel PVC (Lead Free) Maintenance Free

Found this on Website, doesn't mean a thing to me?

•Blackfriar anti solar paint To Glass Or Polycarbonate roof
    •Double Bubble/Double Foil SFBA 2/2 Insulation ISO 9001:2000 Internally fitted with Hemp Layer
    •Kestrel PVC (Lead Free) Maintenance Free

Found this on Website, doesn't mean a thing to me?

Right, so the plan, appears to be

Apply anti-solar paint to the Polycarbonate on the outside
    A layer of Insulation material,
    and
    PVC Cladding as the interior finish.

I will leave it to others to comment on the degree of insulation, as some will be far more qualified.

Your Conservatory probably looks like the attached photo inside?

What are they attaching all this to.
    The White PVC in the photo, is the underside of the rafters, it was not designed to be screwed into, nor is the Polycarbonate.
    If they screw battens into those, it WILL leak.

Ask a few more questions, but of all the Systems I have looked at so far, this looks like one of the worst, and the cheapest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

from the spec (or lack of) outlined so far, i doubt you'd be using space this in winter, in its current form.

why not go back to them and ask for a price with u-values of 0.15w/m2k walls, roof & floor and less than 0.8 w/m2k glazing overall U-values, use this as a reasonably good spec, and work back towards your budget to a compromise from here

BryanF wrote: »
    from the spec (or lack of) outlined so far, i doubt you'd be using space this in winter, in its current form.

why not go back to them and ask for a price with u-values of 0.15w/m2k walls, roof & floor and less than 0.8 w/m2k glazing overall U-values, use this as a reasonably good spec, and work back towards your budget to a compromise from here

BryanF, this is a system to convert from Conservatory to Sunroom, only the roof area is effected.
    So the walls, glazing etc remain as at present

• Registered Users Posts: 9 trekie123

Have you considered foaming the outside with an exterior foam. I bought a house in dublin with a lean to conservatory with glass on the sides but poly carbonate roof. I got a company to foam it. Not sure what size yours is but it worked out at 36 m2. It insulated, waterproofed and is guaranteed for thirty years minimum. The guys i got where <Snip> had it done in two days and did not even have to come inside the house.

Mod edit: Read the charter before posting here again, please.

Advertisement