Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life after maternity leave

Options
  • 28-08-2013 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi all

I'm currently on maternity leave until mid oct. Just trying to get myself sorted with unoaid mat etc.

Question 1:
    If I take my 16 weeks unpaid leave, am I entitled to any other social welfare benefit? Do I get tax back?

Question 2:
    Can I claim illness benefit for the duration (or longer) of the unpaid leave?

Question 3:
    Could I be sacked for taking so much time off?

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Question 1:
    If I take my 16 weeks unpaid leave, am I entitled to any other social welfare benefit? Do I get tax back?

Just Child Benefit, you may get Tax back at the end of the year when you get your P60, if you are not getting payment from work while on mat leave.

Question 2:
    Can I claim illness benefit for the duration (or longer) of the unpaid leave?
    Not unless you are ill. You woul dhave to give a months notice and return to work and then get signed off work by your doctor on a weekly basis until your doctor considers you able to work again. You couldn't be on unpaid maternity and illness benefit.

Question 3:
    Could I be sacked for taking so much time off? If you take the 26 weeks and the 16 weeks unpaid then I would say no. Make sure you keep work up to date with your intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Jeekers

I'm also due back to work after maternity leave. I hate the thoughts of going back to work It is costing me more to go back. By the time I pay a babysitter tolls, petrol etc + the thought of leaving my baby. Anyone have any advice

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Save as much money as possible and take the 16 weeks unpaid.

I think for me, 10 months was the turning point, I was ready to wean during the day and wanted to get out and see other adults.

Ask about part time, even if they never did it in work they may consider it for you, its make a big difference.

Advertisement