Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby neologisms

Options
  • 28-08-2013 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭

This thread might fall flatter faster than Australian confidence in Link McKenzie as the new messiah, but what the heck.

I see the Oxford dictionary has added a few new words to the dictionary, so I wondered about some rugby ones. To get the ball rolling
    • Smugby - an annoying style of rugby in which players wave to the opposition or the crowd on the way to dotting down
    • Thugby - acts of wanton & reckless play, which may or may not result in a citing
    • Do a Dagg - perform an amazing feat on the rugby field, all the while with the mouth held open like a fish under water

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Smugby
    delon_armitage_fly_2566743b.jpg

Thugby
    bakkies_headbutt-420x0.jpg

Do a (flying) Dagg
    974129-111017-israel-dagg.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Nuclear Folau - the destructive aftermath of Israel's explosive burst.

Sexton Loop - circular discussion about the root causes of a player failing to resign with his current club.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Swiwi - An overly verbacious southerner with a secret obsession with proper rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Headphones - Item of musical headwear designed to negate the effectiveness of captaincy

• Advertisement

Swiwi - An overly verbacious southerner with a secret obsession with proper rugby.

OK, I come out of the closet. I love rugby league. This whole posting on the rugby forum is a cover. I tried to deny it, but it's just the way I am.

BTW, accusing someone of being verbacious, by using the word verbacious, is...well...being verbacious... ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Is the appropriate word not verbose? Not that I wish to be a grammar (or vocabulary) nazi, but I think verbacious is a made up word :P

The Madifro - a unique hairbut that ascribes fantastic rugby ability due to certain aerodynamic flows.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Is the appropriate word not verbose? Not that I wish to be a grammar (or vocabulary) nazi, but I think verbacious is a made up word :P

The Madifro - a unique hairbut that ascribes fantastic rugby ability due to certain aerodynamic flows.

Make your mind up - am I verbose or verbacious, or both :eek:

I miss the Madifro - or is it back?

(irishbucsfan made up the word verbacious by the way - just so you know)

I would of gotten away with it too, if it wasnt for those meddling swiss!

The best neologism I saw on here was ambipropsterous.

Also an outdated neoligism was Kidney Infection

Which was the period after each 6 Nations when irish players had to remember how to play cohesive attaking rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think you'll find I'm swish.

1194986466653224692smiley110.svg.med.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

I would of gotten away with it too, if it wasnt for those meddling swiss!

The best neologism I saw on here was ambipropsterous.

I think I can take some credit for ambipropstrous.
    A word that has sadly , or in the context of Ireland, happily, fallen out of use.

durkadurka wrote: »
    I think I can take some credit for ambipropstrous.
    A word that has sadly , or in the context of Ireland, happily, fallen out of use.

Nice! Had to google it, but yes, effectively the 23 man squad should be the death of ambipropstrousity. Or is that ambipropstrousness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I would of ... .
    Have. I would have or I would've, bud, righ'?
    ... gotten away with it ... .
    Got. There is no such word as gotten in English. There may be such a word in Amerglish or Ozlish or even Chavlish but not English

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

^ You mad bro?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Cheerbobo \ , verb;

to attempt to cryptically criticise a ruling organisation through the means of a post-match television interview

mathepac wrote: »
    Got. There is no such word as gotten in English. There may be such a word in Amerglish or Ozlish or even Chavlish but not English

I was on the way home from working 13 hours and posting on a phone, but I really appreciate the English lesson cheers.

Dekidnification \ , verb;

a restorative process which aims to restore skill, knowledge and confidence

Nuclear Folau - the destructive aftermath of Israel's explosive burst.

The Australia rugby landscape after Izzy confirms a new 2-year deal.

I was on the way home from working 13 hours and posting on a phone, but I really appreciate the English lesson cheers.

It's a nightmare! I do it myself (especially at work), but with the predictive text, browser thinking you're trying to select in order to copy & paste etc, it does try the patience. Maybe iOS 7 will help...

• Advertisement

.aok

The official seal of approval from the rugby mods.

Edit: not to be confused with Adam O'Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

.aok

The official seal of approval from the rugby mods.

*cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

RuggieBear wrote: »
    *cough*

The masses have spoken, sorry.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

mathepac wrote: »

Careful, or you'll find you have gotten an infraction for being a grammar Nazi....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

A Henson. use: 'mate, you are in the paper. But I'm afraid it's an a henson article'

def: 'A Henson' is a disproof of the old saying that all publicity is good publicity

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Henson: the Muppet master or master Muppet?

Proposterous - the baffling lack of developing tight heads.

Heavenly Bread \ , noun;

the byproduct of a successful punt on a Welsh team

Donald \ , verb;

to surprisingly become the hero of a nation following an interrupted fishing expedition

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Bit obvious but: a Brocker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Breakdown - the part of the game in which all clarity, consistency, fairness and understanding of the game 'break down'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Hartley

Adverb

Definition: A lie about the level of physical damage or contact made with an individual.

Example: I Hartley touched him your Honour!

Advertisement