Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comics in a similar vein to Eightball and Optic Nerve?

Options
  • 28-08-2013 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi guys I'm fairly new to reading comic books and have pretty much only read the works of Daniel Clowes and Adrian Tomine. I was wondering if anyone would be able to recommend me other comic books that are slightly similar as I'm not too into fantasy and superhero stuff myself but love comics as a form of writing.
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Anything by Joe Sacco and Harvey Pekar.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Joe Sacco and Harvey Pekar are both great, and well worth checking out.

Other authors (and books) to have a look at are:
    • Alison Bechdel (Fun Home)
    • Gilbert Hernandez (Heartbreak Soup)
    • Charles Burns (Black Hole)
    • Chris Ware (Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Boy On Earth)
    • David Mazzucchelli (Asterios Polyp)
    • Chester Brown (I Never Liked You, or perhaps The Playboy)
    • Art Spiegelman (Maus)
    • Seth (It's A Good Life, If You Don't Weaken)
    • Jason (Werewolves Of Montpellier)
    • Gabriel Bá & Fabio Moon (Daytripper)
    • Posy Simmonds (Tamara Drewe or Gemma Bovery)
    • Julie Maroh (Le bleu est une couleur chaude, due out in translated form later this year as "Blue Is The Warmest colour")

Some of these (particularly the Bá/Moon collaboration and Jason books I mentioned) have elements of fantasy to them, but the general narrative thrust and themes are similar to what you find in Clowes & Tomine's work. They should, at least, give you some idea of where to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mrblondecutsear

Thanks! I've read Our Cancer Year but still have to delve into a lot more Harvey Pekar. I'll be sure to check out everyone you's have recommended.

Advertisement