Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mostly Dialogue Books

Options
  • 28-08-2013 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

What are your opinions on books that are mostly dialogue, like the Snapper for instance?

Do you find them hard to read?

The book I'm currently working on is 75% dialogue and I'm worried that it might not be something that people would like.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

Well The Snapper was a huge success and was made into a film too so I don't know why you'd think that style of book wasn't popular. If the dialogue is engaging and feels real then there's no reason why it would be difficult to read.

I love great dialogue - I love books like that - Roddy Doyle's are all favourites of mine. So it's a thumbs up from me - but only if you are able to write convincing dialogue. Are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

I've been told I am and it's the thing that I am most confident in, by far, so hopefully it works out. Thanks for taking the time to reply and reassuring me. I was kind of doubting whether it would work or not. Seemed a bit screenplay-ish or something but you make good points so that's settled my mind. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

The dialogue in Doyle's books works because it is exactly as you would hear it. Each character has their own voice. Often in dialogue every character is speaking in the author's voice and that is what you have to guard against.

Thanks for your feedback. I'm hoping that the dialogue is genuine, I feel it is. Because Im from Tipperary I was tempted to throw in 'shur' a lot. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Have you considered switching to screenplay instead or are you intent on a novel?

• Advertisement

It's something that I'm very unfamiliar with but I'm going to be introduced to it in my college course next year, as far as I know, so hopefully I can decide then. I'd prefer a novel but I'm open to other methods. Especially if I feel it'd be more suitable for screenplay.

Advertisement