Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone done any MS Windows 8 certs?

Options
  • 28-08-2013 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭

Anyone done any MS Windows 8 certs? Any feedback on what they were like?

I see two exams listed 70-687 (configuring..) and 70-688 (managing...). Not sure if either is more suitable for an enterprise/workplace environment? e.g. unlike the Vista exam 70-620 years ago which seemed to be more about promoting new features like xbox integration etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

Just taken Windows 7 config (70-680) and now looking at Windows 8 config (70-687) and they look very similar. You can download the student MOC docs for free (20687B) from MS's own site http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/companion-moc.aspx and they look very enterprise related, in the same way windows 7 concentrated a lot on the features of the Enterprise version of the OS (in my exam at least).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Just taken Windows 7 config (70-680) and now looking at Windows 8 config (70-687) and they look very similar. You can download the student MOC docs for free (20687B) from MS's own site http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/companion-moc.aspx and they look very enterprise related, in the same way windows 7 concentrated a lot on the features of the Enterprise version of the OS (in my exam at least).

Why not take the 70-685 and get your MCSA Windows 7? Then take the upgrade exam to get MCSA Windows 8.

Thanks I hadn't noticed the the upgrade path and haven't booked anything yet. tbh only took the 70-680 out of habit because I have every other desktop OS starting with Windows 95. So will probably continue with Windows 8 just to get me back into the habit before doing some server exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Kinet1c wrote: »
    Why not take the 70-685 and get your MCSA Windows 7? Then take the upgrade exam to get MCSA Windows 8.

If you take the 70-686 before Jan 2014 you can also do 1 exam to upgrade to MCSA Server 2012

OK so checked back and according to MS or at least one of the many mail shots they still send me I only need to do one exam 70-417: Upgrading Your Skills to MCSA Windows Server 2012 so I guess I might be better getting on with that rather than the 70-687. It sort of like reads to me that €150 spent on one exam rather than €450 spent on 3 is a good idea.

Normally I'd only tackle one exam at a time but don't seen a need to spend much time on Windows 8 so will try and get them both done before Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

OK so checked back and according to MS or at least one of the many mail shots they still send me I only need to do one exam 70-417: Upgrading Your Skills to MCSA Windows Server 2012 so I guess I might be better getting on with that rather than the 70-687. It sort of like reads to me that €150 spent on one exam rather than €450 spent on 3 is a good idea.

Normally I'd only tackle one exam at a time but don't seen a need to spend much time on Windows 8 so will try and get them both done before Christmas.

The only draw back 'bout the 70-686 is that it looks boring as fcuk. All about licencing

You'll need to complete the 70-686 before you do the upgrade for windows 8 70-689. MCTS certs are finished for the new Desktop and Server OSs

Advertisement