Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating the Leaving Cert - advice

Options
  • 28-08-2013 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello,

I received my results and I achieved 335 points which is fairly low (I would like to improve by 100 points at least). I have decided to repeat in order for me to have more time to decide on what 3rd level course I would like to do, atm I want to study sports science and health.

I am unsure if I should go to the Institute Of Education or O'Conells Secondary School. There is a difference of about 4500 in fees which is a lot. I heard great things from people who went to the institute and I really want to achieve maximum points so should I just pay the extra 4500?

My next question is about the subject choices. I need to do a science as I didn't do one stupidly for 5th or 6th year. I was thinking either Ag Science or Biology? whichever is easier to pick up in a year. I also am unsure if I should try Higher Maths as the extra points would be of great benefit but then again if I failed...

So Music (H)
    Business (H)
    Science (Biology or ag Science) (H)
    English (H)
    Maths... I got a B3 in Ordinary is it worth giving higher a go as I did it in 5th year but gave up on it as I got 30% in the Sunmmer exam?
    French (H)
    Irish/Economics.. I am unsure if I should bother with Irish as I got a C1 in ordinary(I did very little work for it), Higher seems quite hard on top of picking up new subjects? I was thinking of doing economics instead, as I enjoy Business.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Why are you limiting yourself to just those two places?
    Have you checked out Rathmines College or many of the other VEC/ETB centres, all of which are cheaper than the Institute.

Paying more money doesn't mean any better results, it just means you paid more.

A decent school will discuss your subject options/abilities with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Symman

Both of these schools are in cycling distance from Clontarf.
    Rathmines is a bit far. The reason I was looking at the IOE is due to the great notes and teachers that are teaching in the school.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Your money, your choice, but Ringsend is also within cycling distance of Clontarf.

The best notes you will ever have are ones you made yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jrmb

There's a misconception about "Institute notes". They're an alternative to a textbook, not a substitute for working.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 JonG

Hi..well i just want to advise you on the subject choice. I would recommend you taking Biology, although the two subjects have huge similarities, Ag Science contains a project which is supposed to be done over 2 years. from going by my friends attitudes last year it was a lot of work, and a huge amount of time was spent on it. Biology contains a lot of material but once you know it, it is probably one of the easiest subjects to do well on because there isnt much writing or essay type answering like Geography or Business involved. Also, Biology would help you with doing sport science :) hope it helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Symman

Thanks JonG, they are both large enough courses from what I have heard and even looking through the syllabus. But the project does look challenging on top of learning work for the exam. Thanks for your input :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mentos_0097

I went to the institute and thought it was a great school. The teachers are amazing and the notes really are as good as people talk about them. It all comes down to you though. In some subjects you might have up to 100 people in your class so falling behind is really easy. You don't get the luxury of having a one on one chat with some of your teachers. I personally slacked off and ended up with 350 so ill be repeating next year. think very carefully about your choice and good luck!

I went to the institute and thought it was a great school. The teachers are amazing and the notes really are as good as people talk about them. It all comes down to you though. In some subjects you might have up to 100 people in your class so falling behind is really easy. You don't get the luxury of having a one on one chat with some of your teachers. I personally slacked off and ended up with 350 so ill be repeating next year. think very carefully about your choice and good luck!

Thank you for yet another low-post poster telling us how great the Institute is.
    Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement