Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Planning and Development of Large-Scale, Rail Focussed Areas in Dublin"

Options
  • 27-08-2013 11:38pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭

NTA report here.
    1 INTRODUCTION
    The challenge set out at the commencement of this study was to re-examine and rethink the ways in which the overall objective of securing sustainable residential development in proximity to high capacity transport corridors can be achieved in the longer term, whilst facilitating market demand in the short term. The study sought to identify mechanisms to deliver residential development in strategic residential development areas without compromising quality and policy, taking into account the current economic climate.

The study relates to lands zoned for residential development at a density of 50-plus units per hectare, on rail based public transport corridors, in the four Dublin local authority areas of Dublin City, Fingal, South Dublin, and Dún Laoghaire Rathdown. These strategic residential development areas have been identified as locations for higher density sustainable residential development, through the integration of land use and transportation planning, in accordance with Government policy on Sustainable Residential Development in Urban Areas (DoECLG). They constitute strategic land banks for Dublin for large-scale, primarily residential development, with the ability to accommodate significant population
    growth in well-serviced, well-planned, and well-connected communities.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

if you look at a Map of Limerick you could also argue that a similar strategy would be no harm there.
    It is the city in Ireland with the best network of rail lines heading in all directions YET all development is focused on the roads and not on any strategy to utilise the rail lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

yeah, it's a nice idea, but 90 years too late.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Any further development within Fingal/SDCC should be along train lines and nowhere else. That the Maynooth line runs through open countryside for so long when there's solid development from Louisa Bridge to the city centre is an abject statement of how bad planning was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

MYOB wrote: »
    Any further development within Fingal/SDCC should be along train lines and nowhere else. That the Maynooth line runs through open countryside for so long when there's solid development from Louisa Bridge to the city centre is an abject statement of how bad planning was.

AFAIK there were extensive plans for Hazelhatch but the slump put paid to that. Instead Irish Rail committed commercial Hara Kiri by charging Celbridge commuters to park there (saying nothing about the bus service either)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I agree development should be centered on public transport routes - along rail lines and luas lines

Yes both the Maynooth Line and hazelhatch line have potential for greater development and high density as well despite the slump

The Line from Malahide to Balbriggan should be electrified
    The Line from Connolly/Docklands to Maynooth should be electrified (as should the spur to dunboyne)
    The Hazelhatch line should also be electrified
    I think also the Phoenix Park tunnel should be used to route services from Hazelhatch into Connolly/Pearse/Docklands with stops at Phoenix Park/Zoo, Cabra and Glasnevin.
    This can be done before the DART underground is built.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I live in Lusk,
    When I first moved here, me and MrsC used to get the train in&out of Dublin for work.

After Irish rail let the track fall into the sea at Broadmeadow back there a few years ago, Mrs C was working in Dublin, and started getting the 33X. It was faster, cheaper and she always got a seat, whic she didn't on the train despite being heavily pregnant at the time.

Some years later I was back working in Dublin, and got a dublinBus/irish rail annual ticket. I used to drive to the station and get a 33x to Dublin and a train home, there was one from Connolly which had it's first stop in R&L and was fairly quick. Then IR jacked up the car park prices and the 33x home looked better.

At the end of the day, the 33X was faster, cheaper, served where more people wanted to go (bottom of Grafton St, vs tara/Pearse/Connolly stations; always got a seat too.

Unless rail can give a demonstrably better service than bus, ( in engineering thgere's a saying 'Cheaper, faster, better; pick any two. the 33x had 4 distinct better points than the train.) then no public money should be wasted on it.

Since my time on the post, the M1 has been widened to 3 lanes from Lisenhall to Dublin, improving the times more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

MYOB wrote: »

Could someone explain this post to me (and maybe also explain why it received so many thanks from boards posters).

As noted, there's a good level of development from Louisa Bridge to the city, and there's a pretty good rail service along the route. The DART service has been altered a lot over the years to accomodate a better service from the Maynooth line.

I haven't been on the route in the last couple of years, but from what I remember, the only really open countryside on the Maynooth line is between Leixlip and Maynooth, and there are good reasons (e.g the university) to have services on this section. Why is a pretty decent rail service between Leixlip and the city being derided? And, while the planning of the whole thing probably wasn't fantastic, it's surely not more indicative of "bad planning" than lots of other parts of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Could someone explain this post to me (and maybe also explain why it received so many thanks from boards posters).

As noted, there's a good level of development from Louisa Bridge to the city, and there's a pretty good rail service along the route. The DART service has been altered a lot over the years to accomodate a better service from the Maynooth line.

I haven't been on the route in the last couple of years, but from what I remember, the only really open countryside on the Maynooth line is between Leixlip and Maynooth, and there are good reasons (e.g the university) to have services on this section. Why is a pretty decent rail service between Leixlip and the city being derided? And, while the planning of the whole thing probably wasn't fantastic, it's surely not more indicative of "bad planning" than lots of other parts of Dublin.
    The line barely skirts Leixlip to be fair. 99% of residential development Leixlip is south of the line and not at all within easy walking distance of it given from Leixlip main street you have a nice steep hill to get up to Confey. From Confey the line is again in open countryside to Clonsilla.

An organised country would have developed the lands north of the line and indeed from Confey to Clonsilla, rather than building the likes of Ongar and Littlepace that are dependent on road transport when a railway lies a couple of kms to the south. It was madness that there was no plan. I'm sure someone profited of course.

Advertisement