Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edge top 10 consoles in the past twenty years

Options
  • 27-08-2013 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭

10. Dreamcast
    9. Xbox
    8. Wii
    7. PlayStation 3
    6. DS lite
    5. GameCube
    4. Nintendo 64
    3. PlayStation
    2. Xbox 360
    1. PlayStation 2

Not Arguing with first place with the playstation 2 but xbox 360 should not be sitting in second place and i believe the playstation 1 should be there instead. The 360 for the most part abandoned exclusives you could not get anywhere else so it should be pushed further back.

Also the gamecube should not be ahead of the ds And i much preferred the wii over the n64. Dreamcast should be ahead of the xbox.

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/08/27/edge-rates-the-ten-best-consoles-of-the-past-twenty-years/

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If it's based on software quality the DS and PS2 should be neck and neck first, I'd favour the DS.

360 over the PS3? While initially it was a better console the PS3 has surged ahead with far better exclusives.

Xbox doesn't deserve a place on that list. For exclusive games it was very poor especially considering a lot of it's games came to PC. It's one of the worst consoles in that sense. I'd take the GBA and the superb Neo Geo Pocket over it.

N64 should be a lot lower as well. It's some great games but not a lot of them and most have aged very poorly.

A decent list but GBC and GBA criminally overlooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,462 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

As far as groundbreaking for me: PS2 would be no.1 with Playstation 1 slightly behind in 2.

What made the PS2 sooo good is that with the lack of quality internet back then I would've only seen screenshots in magazines.

My mind was blown when I played it first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

If I were to do up a list of gaming wishes no more EDGE lists would be sneaking in my top 10 handily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I can't fathom why the 360 is No.2 at all, nor why the N64 is so high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

The DS is a phenomenon and definitely deserves the number 2 spot.

I know their justification of the 360 will be it's setting the standard for online multiplayer on consoles but it still doesn't compare to the impact the DS has had in widening the audience of games. A plethora of top notch games as well.

GBA > XBox is a no brainer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,660 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Xbox but no Neo Geo AES? Poll fails.

Where's the CDi by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭jasonbourne.cs

C14N wrote: »
    nor why the N64 is so high.

wasn't it the first console with 4 player option ?

Master of the Universe

wasn't it the first console with 4 player option ?

Nope, loads of consoles before that had multi taps. First was for the PC Engine back in 87.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

no SNES? was still going strong in 1993, GBA should be on that list too

Master of the Universe

krudler wrote: »
    no SNES? was still going strong in 1993, GBA should be on that list too

Didn't even notice the SNES was missing! It's one of those ones you just assume will be on every list like this. The mind boggles really.

Must be working from release date.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

No megadrive either ? Thats it i am boycotting edge :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

o1s1n wrote: »
    Didn't even notice the SNES was missing! It's one of those ones you just assume will be on every list like this. The mind boggles really.

Must be working from release date.

I guess, when was it released here, 91? sure Metroid and Donkey Kong Country weren't release until 94 iirc, should be on the list!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

They are obviously going by release dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

They are obviously going by release dates.

what? either your serious or thats a bad joke:pac:

terrible list imo
    if was to make one, id make the ps1 first
    was my favourite console to game on back in the day, and all these indie games well most of them came from that time in gaming
    ps2 would be second. Kind of defined 3d gaming for me specialy with vice city :pac:

if anything xbox360 and playstation 3 should be 9th 10th place, not saying their bad but i do remember having a hell of time playing other consoles when i was younger compared to now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

no Super Nintendo or Megadrive?

It's like saying Sonic and Mario were pointless to the gaming industry!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Would have thought the snes would be up there too, in my mind it was the first major console that popularised home gaming for the masses. Before the snes I remember spending a lot of time in arcades playing street fighter 2, after the snes arcade machines disappeared.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

On the plus side, the variant covers for their 20th anniversary issues are amazing (links within link for the other ten announced so far): http://www.edge-online.com/news/edge-20th-anniversary-covers-part-three-2003-2007/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

That's more of a list for top 10 consoles of the past 13 years with the notable addition of the PS1 on that list.

No Snes, Mega Drive, Gameboy, or even the Neo Geo, all of which were still very much alive in 1993.

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    what? either your serious or thats a bad joke:pac:

terrible list imo
    if was to make one, id make the ps1 first
    was my favourite console to game on back in the day, and all these indie games well most of them came from that time in gaming
    ps2 would be second. Kind of defined 3d gaming for me specialy with vice city :pac:

if anything xbox360 and playstation 3 should be 9th 10th place, not saying their bad but i do remember having a hell of time playing other consoles when i was younger compared to now

That could easily be an age thing. Nothing is as exciting when you're grown up as when you were a kid.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

pity edge hasn't been relative for 10+ years :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭thegame983

Snes & Megadrive were going strong 20 years ago but they're older than that. That's why they're not on the list.

Having saif that - Where's my Sega Saturn?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

BMMachine wrote: »
    pity edge hasn't been relative for 10+ years :(

Do you mean relevant? If so I'd agree it's gone downhill in the past 3-4 years or so but prior to that it was a fairly reliable source of quality journalism.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

penev10 wrote: »
    Do you mean relevant? If so I'd agree it's gone downhill in the past 3-4 years or so but prior to that it was a fairly reliable source of quality journalism.

yes relevant :p
    i dunno, they seemed to play pass the parcel in terms of which companies ass they are currently licking. its trying to be sight and sound for video gaming without really understanding how to be like that. some of the articles are nice but their reviews are basically a guide to how they are feeling about a particular company at a particular time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Such an awkward thing to even try and make a list for.

I'd probably go something like

1. PS2
    2. GBA
    3. PS1
    4. whatever

because those are the only ones with a really strong selection of unique titles that appeal to me.

...or just give #1 to the PSP because I played with it extensively for about 7 years, even if it was mostly ps1, gba and snes games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

SNES was 91-92 so just outside the 20 year mark I'd say.

God I feel old. Prob because I am old :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

No Gizmondo?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

BMMachine wrote: »
    its trying to be sight and sound for video gaming without really understanding how to be like that.

Frankly, games haven't earned their Sight & Sound yet. There's usually close to a dozen new films released every month deserving of proper in-depth analysis and criticism, not to mention endless re-releases, reappraisals, retrospectives etc.... We're lucky to get a handful of games a year that actually justify any sort of intellectual engagement.

That said, the reason I still loyally buy Edge is their columnists - Hocking and Poole particularly providing some of the best game writing every month, all the others bringing their own worthy perspective too (shame they've lost Randy Smith, who was great). Their reviews are bipolar - sometimes insightful, sometimes not at all - and the features hit and miss (I tend to find their hype section casts a significantly more critical eye than most 'previews', though). They've also a tendency recently towards these rather pointless lists and countdowns. Still, there's typically more than enough to justify a monthly purchase, although they've definitely gone down hill a notch in the last year or so.

Frankly, games haven't earned their Sight & Sound yet. There's usually close to a dozen new films released every month deserving of proper in-depth analysis and criticism, not to mention endless re-releases, reappraisals, retrospectives etc.... We're lucky to get a handful of games a year that actually justify any sort of intellectual engagement.

That said, the reason I still loyally buy Edge is their columnists - Hocking and Poole particularly providing some of the best game writing every month, all the others bringing their own worthy perspective too (shame they've lost Randy Smith, who was great). Their reviews are bipolar - sometimes insightful, sometimes not at all - and the features hit and miss (I tend to find their hype section casts a significantly more critical eye than most 'previews', though). They've also a tendency recently towards these rather pointless lists and countdowns. Still, there's typically more than enough to justify a monthly purchase, although they've definitely gone down hill a notch in the last year or so.

While I agree that games still haven't gotten to the point where they've earned their own Sight and Sound type publication, I do think that you'll only ever want a much smaller number of games vs films each month due to the typical amount of content. An interested film goer could see twelve films a month easily enough but it would take some serious dedication to complete twelve games a month, especially if they have a multiplayer component or interesting sandbox or sidequesting elements.

I'm not a regular Edge buyer but when I do pick it up I have to say that the articles are generally very good. I sort of feel like the lists are just click-bait to give themselves more publicity because with the way print is going (especially in a tech-related industry), they probably need the attention.

Advertisement