Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puck Around Dublin?

Options
  • 27-08-2013 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Wondering is there anyone around in South Dublin interested in pucking a sliotar around? I don't hurl really just like hitting the ball around and getting a bit sick of taking on the wall of the house.

Drop me a message if anyone would be bothered with this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Wondering is there anyone around in South Dublin interested in pucking a sliotar around? I don't hurl really just like hitting the ball around and getting a bit sick of taking on the wall of the house.

Drop me a message if anyone would be bothered with this.

I think the GAA are missing a real opportunity to challenge "Tag Rugby" by not initiating some social hurling activities for guys like yourself. Some people would love a puck around like that but not want to play in a club (cos of the commitment)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I think the GAA has missing a real opportunity to challenge "Tag Rugby" by not initiating some social hurling activities for guys like yourself. Some people would love a puck around like that but not want to play in a club (cos of the commitment)

I believe they did launch a kind of equivalent of tag rugby for both football and hurling, but I dunno if anything came of it

I believe they did launch a kind of equivalent of tag rugby for both football and hurling, but I dunno if anything came of it

Yeah, I remember seeing a thing at HT a few years back in Croke Pk where they talked about "Social Gaelic" and "Social rounders". Cant remember if hurling was part of it to be honest. But then, I remember I was interested in getting involved after seeing it and when I tried to find information on it, I couldnt find anything! So dont think it ever went very far.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

you're thinking about Caman Abu - see here : http://justplay.gaa.ie/

ifah wrote: »

Are they getting many numbers for this?

hmm looks very like hockey with hurls :-(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭danceswithwolf

Are they getting many numbers for this?

hmm looks very like hockey with hurls :-(

Reading the rules and that ain't hurling!

Some sort of social game seems like a natural idea but they might be afraid of it detracting from the main teams. Club next to be started a football team and then stopped it as lads were enjoying it more than hurling!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭BQQ

ifah wrote: »

Seems more like hockey than hurling.
    All strikes from the ground bar frees and puck-outs.
    No solo running.
    No handling the sliotar (rules out catching/hand passing)
    No hooking or blocking
    No physical contact.

Can't see much interest in this from someone looking for an informal game of hurling or a puck around.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

BQQ wrote: »
    Seems more like hockey than hurling.
    All strikes from the ground bar frees and puck-outs.
    No solo running.
    No handling the sliotar (rules out catching/hand passing)
    No hooking or blocking
    No physical contact.

Can't see much interest in this from someone looking for an informal game of hurling or a puck around.

Yeah, I know the objective was to make it the game simple to pick up for recreational players (as with tag rugby), but those rules pretty much take away all the things that make hurling enjoyable to play. There is an element of fantasy involved in tag rugby, people pretending to do the real thing. But if you are pucking about on the ground like 8 year olds, it's hard to really get much of a kick out of it. I'm not at all surprised it hasn't taken off to be honest. The Gaelic football one was probably a better opportunity, but you can't block the ball under any circumstances...now I've never played Gaelic football, but I can't imagine it's much fun to have to stand there and let someone kick...I mean what harm can there be in blocking?

3. Players are not permitted to swing the hurley above shoulder level in play. A player is only permitted to swing the hurley above shoulder level when taking a puck out, penalty puck, free puck or sideline puck.
    4. Players are not permitted to solo the sliotar.
    6. The sliotar may be struck/dribbled on the ground. Players are not permitted to handle the sliotar.

---

Sort of remove all all of the hurling elements from the game. I guess this means the ball stays on the ground? So it is basically hockey as others have said....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

The Go Games initiative has the following as the rules/guidelines for U8 hurling in Dublin anyways .. all rights Hill16.ie

commences with a throw in the centre.
    · Throw in at centre after score
    · Puck out from hand after a wide. Goalkeeper allowed to
    come out 10m to do this
    · At puck outs, the player gets a second chance if he misses
    first time
    · Outfield players to play the sliotar on the ground at all times.
    · The goalkeeper is permitted to catch or lift the sliotar into
    the hand, take four steps and strike it from the hand but is
    not permitted to solo run with the sliotar on the hurley
    · All frees to be taken from the ground directly opposite the
    goals.
    · Player who is fouled to take the free.
    · Players are not permitted to kick the sliotar but if the ball
    strikes the foot or leg of a player this does not constitute a
    free.
    · When a team plays the ball over its own end line,
    opponents are awarded a free puck from the ground from
    the 20mt line directly opposite the goal. (A 65 ).

• Advertisement

The number of clubs taking part seems to have been 45 in 2012 and 14 in 2013 so I guess it didn't take off.

Advertisement