Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei Ascend Y300

Options
  • 27-08-2013 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

So I've decided to but the Huawei ascend y300, but meteor and e mobile are both out of stock as are argos! :(

I'd prefer to stay on the vodafone network, so would like to buy sim free..where would be best to buy? I know I could get it on meteor (eventually) and get it unlocked, but then would lose the warranty :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Amazon have it for £110. Would work out about 20 dearer than buying from meteor but it'll be unlocked.

Edit:unlocking a phone doesn't void your warranty if unlocked in the correct manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Seanh111

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Amazon have it for £110. Would work out about 20 dearer than buying from meteor but it'll be unlocked.

Edit:unlocking a phone doesn't void your warranty if unlocked in the correct manner.

i suppose it might be worth the extra €20 if i have a warrenty though! :confused: hmm do you mean get meteor to unlock it for me? Would I need to have spent a certaina mount of credit on the phone like with vodafone or just ring them up? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Seanh111 wrote: »
    i suppose it might be worth the extra €20 if i have a warrenty though! :confused: hmm do you mean get meteor to unlock it for me? Would I need to have spent a certaina mount of credit on the phone like with vodafone or just ring them up? :)

Buying from meteor the phone will be locked and they won't give you the code until you've spent about €120 credit. Buying it from amazon it will be factory unlocked so is well worth €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭celticsfan

You can get a network unlock code on ebay for 4 quid..I got one for someone else in my family last week, I then rooted it and everything..not a bad phone for the price in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

If you find yourelf in N.I. or U.K. then why not buy an unlocked one in Argos ? ( see argos.co.uk )
    ( AFAIK not available in Argos RoI )

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

Buying it for a friend from Amazon through Flubit. Got an offer of £103. I know it's only £6 but that will cover a case and my Parcel Motel cost. Make sure you use parcel motel if buying it from Amazon otherwise they're charging £20 delivery to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

I'll just leave this here.

I unlocked the bootloader, rooted the phone, installed TWRP and flashed a custom rom on this phone and all is going well now :)

Link to instructions : http://huawei-y300.tumblr.com/post/47366836617/how-to-unlock-and-root-huawei-ascend-y300-all

Link to Rom: http://www.modaco.com/topic/363879-rom-fusionx-huawei-y300-240813-b03-jb-411/

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭celticsfan

I unlocked the bootloader, rooted the phone, installed TWRP and flashed a custom rom on this phone and all is going well now :)

Link to instructions : http://huawei-y300.tumblr.com/post/47366836617/how-to-unlock-and-root-huawei-ascend-y300-all

Link to Rom: http://www.modaco.com/topic/363879-rom-fusionx-huawei-y300-240813-b03-jb-411/

thers plenty of other roms on that forum i would be trying before fusion x namely cyanogenmod:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

celticsfan wrote: »
    thers plenty of other roms on that forum i would be trying before fusion x namely cyanogenmod:D

Oh really, couldnt find it :P Any link?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

I updated my firmware b171 to b175 from the huawei website to find the phone much snappier. Menus load much faster and memory management has improved. The notification bar does not have the toggles on it anymore though. Still the phone as a whole is a nicer experience for me since the update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭funnyname

anyone got a link for where I can get an unlock code from Meteor for this?

Thanks

Hi guys I'm wondering if you can help me out. I purchased this phone from Amazon.co.uk for a work colleague and the seller was in China and it took over a month to get here, but that's another story for another day.
    Anyway the problem is there is no playstore icon and when I access the playstore through the browser it says no device recognized.
    There is two app stores on the device, one called app Centre and the other wostore, the app centre is useless and while the wostore has most apps all the menus and tags are in Chinese.
    Is there any way I can get the playstore app on the phone for him because the whole process has been such a nightmare I couldn't make him go through sending it back to China.
    And before anyone suggests it, I'm a small bit tech minded but don't have a clue about flashing custom roms or bootloaders or anything like that.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Hi guys I'm wondering if you can help me out. I purchased this phone from Amazon.co.uk for a work colleague and the seller was in China and it took over a month to get here, but that's another story for another day.
    Anyway the problem is there is no playstore icon and when I access the playstore through the browser it says no device recognized.
    There is two app stores on the device, one called app Centre and the other wostore, the app centre is useless and while the wostore has most apps all the menus and tags are in Chinese.
    Is there any way I can get the playstore app on the phone for him because the whole process has been such a nightmare I couldn't make him go through sending it back to China.
    And before anyone suggests it, I'm a small bit tech minded but don't have a clue about flashing custom roms or bootloaders or anything like that.
    Thanks

You sure it's a real Y300? The lack of an official Google Play app would lead me to believe it's a clone with a butchered rom. Hope I'm wrong though.

Gulliver wrote: »
    You sure it's a real Y300? The lack of an official Google Play app would lead me to believe it's a clone with a butchered rom. Hope I'm wrong though.
    I hope your wrong too! :-(
    How would I know?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

A little heads-up for peeps that might be thinking of getting this phone. Amazon.de now have it for €99.00 + about €5.00 carriage to Ireland. Well worth the money imho.

I tried getting an unlock code via this way but after twice entering the required info I got an email back from Huawei saying they didn't recognise the details.

http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/servicePolicy.do?method=preUnlock

Do I first need to get it unlocked from my provider Meteor?

Anyone, I don't seem to be getting anywhere.
    funnyname wrote: »
    I tried getting an unlock code via this way but after twice entering the required info I got an email back from Huawei saying they didn't recognise the details.

http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/servicePolicy.do?method=preUnlock

Do I first need to get it unlocked from my provider Meteor?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Shazamm

same thing happened me, its also locked to meteor too. Also for anyone thinking of updating the firmware a lot of features are missing on the update

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

Mine came with firmware b171 on meteor. However I have since downloaded the b175 update from Huaweis website. Menus open way faster now.

Yeah it's faster alright , although the shortcut menu al the top is now gone so turning off wifi and GPS and theme changes take a bit longer now
    mondeo wrote: »
    Mine came with firmware b171 on meteor. However I have since downloaded the b175 update from Huaweis website. Menus open way faster now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Just downloading B175 for my Meteor Y300 to my computer cause phone got very laggy now. Hoping this B175 version will speed it up.
    My bootloader is unlocked (not the same as unlocking to another provider) - its rooted, and has Fusion x - so i hope when i update the firmware non of this will change and it will still be unlocked bootloader and rooted? - will it?

mm just finished downloading B175 stock rom from Huawei website - goes to extract zip file and it says its password protected! - cant unzip it unless anyone knows the password to use ...

I'd doubt that it'll still be rooted. All my apps and info went when I updated

[qudote="Andy From Sligo;87470840"]Just downloading B175 for my Meteor Y300 to my computer cause phone got very laggy now. Hoping this B175 version will speed it up.
    My bootloader is unlocked (not the same as unlocking to another provider) - its rooted, and has Fusion x - so i hope when i update the firmware non of this will change and it will still be unlocked bootloader and rooted? - will it?[/quote]

I successfully have B175 installed and working properly - I mis those toggle buttons in the notification bar now though, shame that they have gone. When I asked UK Huawei Tech support about updating from B171 to B175 I got an email back saying

"why would you want B175 thats an old firmware - the UK y300 came with B176 as its first release and the latest firmware is B192 and said the latest one for the Ireland Meteor is B171 and if you load B175 it will not work there will be problems"

Well news for them - I got B175 on my phone and its working! - sent them an email back and asked where I could download B192 if its the latest firmware - but guess what , no reply ....

• Registered Users Posts: 21 gate1

I have also upgraded my Y300 phone to software version Y300-0100V100R001C00B175 but now mobile data does not work!

Data is switched on but does not work. Has anyone else had this problem??

Had this problem too! It cost me credit even though it wasn't connected. It's working now , I used the settings on the m2 site and them chose the o2 network . I've I bigger problem now though, every phone call the mic cuts off! The only workaround is loudspeaker turning it on and off but by thee the other person has usually hung up, anyone else had this happen? Could it be app related?
    gate1 wrote: »
    I have also upgraded my Y300 phone to software version Y300-0100V100R001C00B175 but now mobile data does not work!

Data is switched on but does not work. Has anyone else had this problem??

• Registered Users Posts: 21 gate1

I went to the meteor store today and they fixed it for me. They said that the Access Point Name was blank. This was set to Meteor data and now it works fine.;)

Hey guys just wondering does anyone know of a rom that supports the dual sim model.
    I'm after installing cyanogenmod and an official Huawei rom to try to access the playstore and now it won't recognise the sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Got this phone the other day from meteor, unlocked it and am now on 3.

Only problem is Data does not work

APN settings are ok except the APN enable/disable button is greyed out.

Anyone have a solution

Screenshot_2014-01-01-14-08-31.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭whats the point

Got this phone the other day from meteor, unlocked it and am now on 3.

Only problem is Data does not work

APN settings are ok except the APN enable/disable button is greyed out.

Anyone have a solution

Screenshot_2014-01-01-14-08-31.png

I don't know much about the 3 network but from the picture it looks like you are roaming, so you might have to enable data roaming for it to work.

Settings/more/mobile networks and check the data roaming. Thats what I have to do to enable the data on 48.

Advertisement