Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Statements Query

Options
  • 27-08-2013 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi All
    How long are you supposed to keep statements such as:
    Bank
    Credit Card
    Utility Bills
    Store receipts?

I'm finding out conflicting answers from anywhere from 1 year to 7 years?

Does anyone know?

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Personal choice, really.

I generally keep mine for about 3 years or so, but that's just from personal habit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Their isn't an answer, the 7 years might have come from commercial taxes rather than personal statements.

You could request on eStatements from now on, and any bills that you want to keep a copy of, just scan to your computer. A good camera will do the job of scanner and you can keep forever on a hard drive. Another hard drive would be recommended as a backup

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Agree its a personal choice.

One thing to remember is that banks have a rule on how far back they will get you statements. Its around the 6-7 year mark where they will only provide statements for legal reasons.

Advertisement