Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SouthWest USA - Big Sky country !

Options
  • 27-08-2013 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    In October Im heading to southwest USA, LA,death valley, Zion, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon ...

I was planning to get a decent tripod when I get there (a must) as my one now is pretty basic and I don't wanna lug it over - I may FedEX the new one back.

Anyway, was also thinking of getting a tobacco filter, people tell me they are excellent for these kind of landscapes - what do you think ?

I know one can do a lot with post processing , but I like to do as much as possible at the source.

So any good recommendations for tripods and/or filters ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭bullpost

Spend your money on quality ND's, polarisers and Infrareds if you have any change.
    the_monkey wrote: »
    Hi all,
    In October Im heading to southwest USA, LA,death valley, Zion, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon ...

I was planning to get a decent tripod when I get there (a must) as my one now is pretty basic and I don't wanna lug it over - I may FedEX the new one back.

Anyway, was also thinking of getting a tobacco filter, people tell me they are excellent for these kind of landscapes - what do you think ?

I know one can do a lot with post processing , but I like to do as much as possible at the source.

So any good recommendations for tripods and/or filters ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Infrared filters, are they good for day shots too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭bullpost

The brighter the better so you could get some nice shots. They will be long exposures and so good tripod will come in handy.
    Infrared filters, are they good for day shots too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

I lived there for 2 years. Great spot for photography. Make sure to take in Horseshoe bend, Atelope Canyon, and Monument Valley.

Would Suggest Horseshoe at sunrise, Antelope at around midday (take a photo tour its worth it as they make sure you have time to get shots without 1000 tourists in the shot) and Monument valley at sunset!

Also recommend a polarizer. With the light over there you often get away with one on wide angle shots. MRC coating also a must! Suggest B+W!

Plenty of stuff on my blog (check my sig).

If you dont have any particular reason for going to LA i would skip it completely, really the biggest let down in that area for me. Take in Yosemite instead! Death valley is also a little meh, with the exception of the moving stones!

PM me if you need specifics, I have spent days and sometimes weeks at all the locations listed

PS. Make sure and get some Milky Way shots! Clearly visible in Northern Arizona

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Polarisers on wide angles can sometimes do crazy stuff to skies though...

2664964381_dbd055b981_z.jpg

2720880828_1359f6de63_z.jpg

Matter of opinion really but I'd try and avoid it if you can.

Also, please don't take -that- picture of horseshoe bend.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,570 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do you want to make your pics look like they were taken in the 80s?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Matter of opinion really but I'd try and avoid it if you can.

Also, please don't take -that- picture of horseshoe bend.

The harshness of the sunlight can leave your photos very washed out in that part of the world. Especially late in the year after the dust has been washed out of the sky by the rainy season. Also the sun stays higher for longer due to the latitude. I usually shot at -1 or -2/3 there to compensate

Advertisement