Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neptune

Options
  • 27-08-2013 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭

992991_654099977944350_2006269500_n.jpg

It is visible with binoculars apparently. I will have my telescope out ( moon) and hope to see it too.

Any tips ? Anyone seen it before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

It would be handy if the clouds fecked off tonight and we could get a clear view. Only been one good clear night in the last two weeks or so and I have a new pair of binoculars to break in as well.

Not sure if I'll be able to it through be 10x50's, but I'll give it a go if it's clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

It would be handy if the clouds fecked off tonight and we could get a clear view. Only been one good clear night in the last two weeks or so and I have a new pair of binoculars to break in as well.

Not sure if I'll be able to it through be 10x50's, but I'll give it a go if it's clear.

Yes, I've seen it.

I've seen Uranus, too! <boom, boom!>

Back in 2006, I spotted both Neptune and Uranus with a pair of 10x50s, but it was October, and skies would have been darker.

http://www.fourmilab.ch/yoursky/ is a useful tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Nice clear night last night and I think I managed to spot Neptune. Don't know whether I'm fooling myself into thinking that I could see a blue glow of it or not, but I think that the area of the sky I was looking at matched up fairly well to where Stellarium was saying it should be. Where I was observing it from was fairly heavily light polluted and I was using a pair of 10x50 bins, so if it was Neptune that I was looking at, then other people should have no problem spotting it.

I also got great views of Andromeda, saw a few faint satellites, an iridium flare and a few shooting stars, although M29 in Cygnus and M33, the Triangulum galaxy, are still escaping my view. Probably, have to wait until later in the night to have the best view of M33 though.

Still amazed that I can see so much from my backyard in a light polluted area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Rubeter

Seen it with 10x50's too, dark sky, out in the country.
    At the time I remember thinking "ok I've seen 8 planets now only one left", knowing the 9th would be tricky and my chances of getting to see it would be slim I had a tinge of disappointment, then woke up one morning to find I had seen all the planets without having to do a thing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

I saw it a year or 2 ago thru my Sunagor 20 x 70 binos.It's been cloudy every night the past 3 weeks so no joy this time yet

handy little size chart of the Trans Neptunian Objects

TNOs-8.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement