Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning Permission to live and work in a warehouse

Options
  • 27-08-2013 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Planning Permission to live and work in a warehouse.

Hi All im looking for some advice im thinking of buying a warehouse and using it as a living and working space, Its in the city centre in a small industrial area beside a residential area it has the basics electricity small kitchen storage heating size 2,852 sq. feet over two floors but it needs a lot of work. I think with time it could make a great place to live and work. I have been on to the Dublin City Council and they told me its probably a 50 50 chance that i would get the planning permission, as the area has certain zoning rights, they said i could ask the current owner if he would be willing to let me buy pending i get the permission or take a risk and just buy and see what happens. One of my major stumbling blocks is because i have a 3 year old daughter i have to have some form of private open area which i don't have but theres a park beside the industrial area so theres a chance. I nearly wish the Dublin City Council would just said NO you cant do it and i would forget it, but when they say theres a chance, i would love to give it a go but i fear I may be walking into a world of pain, but it would be worth it in the long run, i think. If anybody could offer some advice i would appreciate it, Thanks Emmet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

What is the structure? Been a while since I did civil engineering but if I recall the standard warehouse structure is very flexible. It would b easy enough to put in a roof garden for your child. Essentially the cladding is non structural so removing the roof and putting in a floor could give you outside space.

Dublin planning is a bit moody so it really is a 50/50 chance. In saying that it is normally just restrictions on what you are doing rather than a flat refusal. Can't see why the seller would agree to a provision on planning as he probably isn't expecting it to be turned into a house.

It won't be quick one way or the other so it probably is a no go. It would also be relatively expensive even to get to the point of being refused. Unless you can do the drawings yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ETRY

Hi Ray Sorry for my ignorance when it comes to what kind of structure it is but Its a big square building attached to another building 2,750 sq. feet over two floors the floor to ceiling height on lower floor is aprox 2.5 meters the agent also said its a protected structure? i don't want to touch the outside just need to install a kitchen and a bathroom at the moment, its got a sort of a kitchen which is made up of Partition type walls but the main outer wall looks very solid. just a thought but as im thinking of buying this for work and living what would happen if i just bought the place build the kitchen etc and just lived in it? and maybe looked for the planning permission at a later date?

Walk away. You don't have the knowledge to take on such a project.

Protected structures drive people in the industry crazy. There are different levels of protection so the interior may also be protected or any machinery may even be protected.
    If the build is protected there is a good chance there will be massive structural issues later on with very restricted options to repair. The EA should give you a proper listing of what type of protection it has

If the building does not allow you to live in it but you are you can get heavy fines and instant eviction. If you or a member of your family is injured in the property you may even get a criminal neglect charge. You can't have the right insurance on it either to cover accidents or theft.

You could check it all out and manage to do it. An architect will say it can be done charge you for the drawings and not care if you can actually get planning or even worry about costs. So be wary of the guy trying to just get money for drawings.

It sounds like lovely idea but it isn't for the faint of heart

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What do you intend to use the warehouse for, and are you just looking at the property as it's cheap? Would, for example, a house and barn suit you?

the_syco wrote: »
    What do you intend to use the warehouse for, and are you just looking at the property as it's cheap? Would, for example, a house and barn suit you?

In fairness this is Dublin City centre so advantages on the warehouse would be largely down to location space ratio.

• Advertisement

I Intend to use the warehouse as a green screen studio for tv and film, the price is pretty good value yes, its also very centrally located,However i think i may have to take Rays advice and forget the dream. And Syco a house and a barn might work depending on location.

I would hate to think I ended a dream. Just this particular property doesn't suit what you are thinking. There could be another out there right for the idea.

Its Ok Ray i think i may have dodged a bullit, i just read the guide to protected structures from Dublin City Council website, seems even if i wanted to paint or plaster or put in new windows i may have needed planning permission. All the best Emmet

Advertisement