Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does a postal order work?

Options
  • 26-08-2013 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hi I am trying to buy an item off Adverts.ie and the seller says that she wants payment by postal order. I have heard of it before but I don't totally understand what it is since i have never done a postal order.

I just want to know what you do, and do you have to give any personal details to the seller?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,394 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

A postal order is essentially a piece of paper you buy from the post office, its similar to a bank draft in that it doesn't depend (like a cheque) on the buyer having money in his/her account. The P.O. can be cashed in any post office. The maximum amount these days for a P.O. is €650.

Unlike payment by Paypal or personal cheque, once you hand over a P.O. there's no way back so if you have any misgivings about the seller, I'd be careful. Sometimes when a seller states that only one form of payment is acceptable, it can be a warning sign. In most cases they will try to accommodate the buyer's preference or at least are prepared to negotiate a mutually acceptable method of payment.

Advertisement