Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

legal question on street photography and pictures that include kids

Options
  • 26-08-2013 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have recently gotten the photo bug and discovered that I love street shooting.

Shooting in USA and Canada I found interesting articles from photobloggers such as http://everydayaperture.com/law/

However these are laws in the states.

I love the idea of capturing a really candid moment, like walking down Grafton Street on a Saturday afternoon and seeing a street performer do his/her thing.

Taking a pic of a street performer seems to be cool, they are adults etc... and socially it is acceptable, hell most of these guys are happy to have you take their picture if you will give them a finished print / put it up on facebook.

However, what is the protocol and more importantly the standing in law with respect to street photography and taking pics that involve kids that are not your own ?

I'm not talking about creepy behaviour like following a family around taking snaps of their kids... but simply capturing a simple family moment in the moment. For example a parent giving out to his/her child or a kid throwing a temper tantrum in a public place! Things we can all relate to and that make really interesting stories when shown in black and white!

A friend of mind is a teacher in a school and told me that recently they were told by the dept of education that it is illegal to capture other peoples kids in your photography (for obvious reasons) without the parents permission.

First of all I would like to say that I believe that childrens safety and protection must come first and foremost.

Can somebody please advise if the law sees street photography in a black and white way with respect to childrens protection, or whether they take a more common sense approach i.e. you take a quick snap of a temper tantrum, kid running after a puppy etc... in a public crowded place then it's ok.

Thanks,

r1_2010.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

r1_2010 wrote: »
    A friend of mind is a teacher in a school and told me that recently they were told by the dept of education that it is illegal to capture other peoples kids in your photography (for obvious reasons) without the parents permission.
    'illegal' may have been incorrectly applied here; did they possibly mean that it's against regs for a teacher to take photos of kids they teach, in their capacity as teachers?

there is no legal expectation to privacy (in terms of not having your photo taken) when in a public place in ireland. that does not absolve a photographer from moral concerns regarding the use of that image - and all usual caveats apply as regards commercial use of the image.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

if you are in a public place (parks not included as they are council owned) then you are well within your rights to take photos of whoever you like: adults, children etc...

People have this perception that you are not allowed take photos of kids which is just plain ignorance

But you can't use these for commerical purposes however

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Real Psycrow

How about throwing together some cheap cards? Just with your name and email address on there, or maybe a website or facebook page. After you take the shot, go up to family and say "I just took your photos, if you'd like me to email you, just contact me. Equally, if you'd like me to remove it from my site please do"

Its not the same, but I took children's portraits of a family a couple of years ago. Whenever I do this I always ask parents if they're happy with the pictures going on my site and on facebook. Most are, but this couple said the website was fine, but they don't post pics of their kids on facebook and would prefer if I didn't. People have different priorities and concerns.

All this is purely ethical though, as the folks said above, there's nothing illegal in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭milos

What concerns me is the parents who immediately treat you like a monster the minute they see you point a camera near children. That is why I seldom take street photos.
    The thought of approaching the parents after you have taken the shot with a card and asking what they think just horrifies me.

I would love to be able to give a card that clearly explains that I am entitled to take a picture of a child if they are in a public place without having to ok it with the parent.

BTW I like taking photos of small children. How many people just thought "pedophile"

Advertisement