Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

maynooth town /pike

Options
  • 26-08-2013 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hi my boy is attending college now in maynooth for the next couple of years so can see myself taking mum up a few times a year for visits so I'm looking for some information on how to access canal on foot from town centre and are there any bye-laws I should be aware off and to chance me arm any good marks in the area
    thanks very much

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

You cant miss it its right in the centre of town. Walk up by the Roost pub and the Garda station.

All coarse bye laws apply and additionally its 100% catch and release implemented by Waterways Ireland.

Generally on the canals I walk and lure fish with a shallow diving floating plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

There were some great Pike in the Harbour but haven't fished it for a while so not sure if they are still there, it's a fairly popular place so be careful of leaving gear lying about as it might get trampled

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimbev

thanks very much for your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

uch wrote: »
    There were some great Pike in the Harbour but haven't fished it for a while so not sure if they are still there, it's a fairly popular place so be careful of leaving gear lying about as it might get trampled

They aren't really. It was good years ago but is hammered now. The resident coarse fish show the signs of it. The ones that haven't been killed outright are often covered in net marks or hook damage. I gave up fishing it around 5-6 years ago.

The pike population is thin and very spread out. Hence I would lure or sink and draw and cover lots of ground.

If you want more local info PM me OP.

Advertisement