Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating the LC after 2 years in college.

Options
  • 26-08-2013 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi,I'm thinking of repeating the LC to try and get a course I want. The degree I'm currently doing is a back door into it, it only knocks 1 year off it though, so I'll be doing 8 years in total! The real problem is though if I have a degree and apply as a graduate I'm eligible for full fees (20k/year in Ireland and up to 40k/year in UK). Is it do-able to do this? I was over 100 points off it in my first sitting but I really didn't study, but if I was to repeat I would do CAO and UCAS.
    Anyone that can shed some light please do so!! :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Hi,I'm thinking of repeating the LC to try and get a course I want. The degree I'm currently doing is a back door into it, it only knocks 1 year off it though, so I'll be doing 8 years in total! The real problem is though if I have a degree and apply as a graduate I'm eligible for full fees (20k/year in Ireland and up to 40k/year in UK). Is it do-able to do this? I was over 100 points off it in my first sitting but I really didn't study, but if I was to repeat I would do CAO and UCAS.

If you are prepared for the fees then i don't see why you wouldn't do it! :) Yes its a couple more years but if you are doing what you want to do in the end , its worth it in my view. Just make sure you are in the right mind set and feel ready to increase your points , have a plan for if you don't manage to get the points atfer repeating?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭GrezzC

Correct me if I'm wrong but having completed two years of college won't you be eligible for the full fees for those two years of a 4 year degree anyway? I always thought that was the case

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mrpockets09

I'm not sure what way works! If anybody knows please let me know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Billiethepup

I'm not sure what way works! If anybody knows please let me know!

If you've used two years of free fees them you will pay full fees for the first two years of any subsequent degree (even if the first is unfinished) you will however then be eligible for free fees from third year onwards. Basically the govt. pay for one of each college year fees for you -ie.one first year, one second year, etcetc.
    Hope that helps! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

If you've used two years of free fees them you will pay full fees for the first two years of any subsequent degree (even if the first is unfinished) you will however then be eligible for free fees from third year onwards. Basically the govt. pay for one of each college year fees for you -ie.one first year, one second year, etcetc.
    Hope that helps! :-)

Are you sure about that? I went to repeat school with FETAC courses and regularly heard of people doing FETAC courses to avoid having to pay fees again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Yep, Billie is right.

Advertisement