Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few quick questions

Options
  • 26-08-2013 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

starting to get myself prepared for my first greyhound, so a bit of advise please if anybody can help.

Ill be self training at home starting with only one dog to learn the tricks of the trade.

1. Kennel
    Do i have to build concrete kennels or use a timber shed with a dog run attached?

2. Routine
    How important is routine as i work shift work my schedule is different every few week and this is important to me if i don't have enough time for the dog i wont be getting him. So does the dogs walks have to be the same time every day or can i work around that? as long as the feeding is the same time every day I plan to walk 6 miles a day but he will have a big garden to relive himself.

3. Kennel/Run Maintenance
    How often do i change bedding?
    How often do i disinfect the kennel/run?

and last but not least

4. Training & Rest Periods
    How often can you race?
    What would be your rest periods barring injuries?
    How often do you gallop & do unofficial trials?

Sorry for the long post and the barrage of questions if you can only answer one of my question that will be fine there is a lot there and every bit helps.

Oh ya is there any gallops in north cork between Mallow/Cork the one in lyre is up for sale.

Thanks guys & gals.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Charlie George

1.Start off with timber kennels as after a few months of walking morning and evening you might think its not for you.
    2.When dog is racing he should be kennelled to conserve energy and get best results,let out to relieve himself maybe twice a day,try a nice neighbour.I work 3 cycle shift and it works alright,when I finish at 8 on nights i walk them,when I start work at 8 I walk them at 7 and when I work at 4 I walk them around 8 as well.
    3.In the summer time you would have to change bedding more with flys and tics but around once every 5/6 weeks would be grand.
    Din infecting after every bedding change and i sometimes spray industrial alcohol before i take them for a walk to kill anything and smell will be gone by the time you come back with dogs.
    4.When dogs are qualified the can race every week,after maybe 3 or 4 quick races it might be no harm to give a few weeks rest.
    I gallop my dogs 3 times a week on my own gallop,2 runs up a straight gallop,dogs can take a lot of hard training,they are tough,make surre you use a safe gallop.
    When dogs are getting ready to qualify,they would prob trial every week to get them used to it,start off with a few hand slips and then carefully introduce traps.

I wish you the very best of luck,it is hard work but a labour of love,there is nothing better in this world than training your own dog to win a race.
    I would also advise to get 2 dogs to train as dogs thrive on company,leave the 2 together and they will bring each other on.
    And finally get as much advise as you can and dont be afraid to ask,learn from mistakes and remember every person have there own way,so take a bit om them all,let us know what you buy and again the very best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 RallyMan555

That is great Charlie thanks for the reply, want everything right at home a ready for them to give myself and the dog or dogs the best chance

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭kk09

Definately agree with having two, very little extra work in two, as they can go everywhere together. A bit more expense though. A lot of people say two dogs will get on better than two bitches or a mix. Twice the fun come race time.

Advertisement