Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upper newel post protrudes down through floor

Options
  • 26-08-2013 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

The top baluster in our house (newel post?) protrudes down through the floor and appears as a 5in stump in the kitchen ceiling underneath.

I was just wondering why this is? The bannister is stable and everything is OK - I was just wondering does this contribute to the stability. And if it does, why isn't this done everywhere. The house is circa 1991 so less < 30yrs old.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    The top baluster in our house (newel post?) protrudes down through the floor and appears as a 5in stump in the kitchen ceiling underneath.

I was just wondering why this is? The bannister is stable and everything is OK - I was just wondering does this contribute to the stability. And if it does, why isn't this done everywhere. The house is circa 1991 so less < 30yrs old.

I'm guessing its because it minimizes the chance of splitting when a screw is driven in near the bottom of the post - and the carpenter didn't want the hassle of trimming the post to hide it.
    Older houses 1930-60 often have quirky features which were cosmetically acceptable back then but yours is relatively new and probably a victim of building to a certain cost. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Eh......apologies to all carpenters/joiners. It seems that the Newel post is left long because the Stringer is inserted with a mortice and tenon joint and some wood has to be left below the mortice. So now I know !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Newels nearly always come in standard lenghts of 500, 700 and so on. Its not a shortcut. i nearly always give the option of dropping the newel fully as an end cap or finial ball can be fitted which will compliment a lot of stairs. the bit left on is as recipio says good for stability however with the fixings and glues avaiable now it is not a necessitie. some of the older stairs often used a double tenon however nowadays its just a single tenon used with most lads. jmaybe the lads chiselling just got tired and said sure its easier cut a bit out of the tenon .

Advertisement