Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ITIL or PRINCE2

Options
  • 26-08-2013 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering which of the above you would reckon is more beneficial at the moment? I currently have an IT Management role but I'm looking to back it up with a few certifications. The training budget would probably allow me to get the PRINCE Foundation and Practitioner done.

Or I could do just the ITIL foundation?

I know they are not the same type of certification but I see a Project Management certification being a requirement in a lot of IT Management roles being advertised at the moment, which would gear towards getting the full PRINCE qualification and then maybe moving onto ITIL next year if possible?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering which of the above you would reckon is more beneficial at the moment? I currently have an IT Management role but I'm looking to back it up with a few certifications. The training budget would probably allow me to get the PRINCE Foundation and Practitioner done.

Or I could do just the ITIL foundation?

I know they are not the same type of certification but I see a Project Management certification being a requirement in a lot of IT Management roles being advertised at the moment, which would gear towards getting the full PRINCE qualification and then maybe moving onto ITIL next year if possible?

Thanks

I've completed Prince2 to Practitioner level and ITIL certifications to Expert level.

My personal view is for you to go with the Prince 2 certification to Practitioner level.

The ITIL Foundation certification on its own will only give you a high level of understanding of ITIL. You'd have to complete many more intermediate certifications (5) and an Expert Certification for it to look really attractive on a CV.

Of course, experience of Service Management best practice is important, but as you've asked specifically about ITIL and Prince2 and have thrown in the budget factor, I kept my response specifically to that. Others may come back and suggest PMP as an alternative to Prince2.

With work commitments it took me almost 2 years to complete all the ITIL certifications.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Its a very mercenary question to ask , but what sort of turn around (time wise) are you looking at for completing both Prince2 exams ?

horgan_p wrote: »
    Its a very mercenary question to ask , but what sort of turn around (time wise) are you looking at for completing both Prince2 exams ?

5 days with a training course

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

and can you home study and just go to an exam center ?

I'm looking to do either ITIL or a Project management exam next.
    ITIL seems under appreciated (lots of places like to see it , not so sure if they'll pay for it)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

boobar wrote: »
    I've completed Prince2 to Practitioner level and ITIL certifications to Expert level.

My personal view is for you to go with the Prince 2 certification to Practitioner level.

The ITIL Foundation certification on its own will only give you a high level of understanding of ITIL. You'd have to complete many more intermediate certifications (5) and an Expert Certification for it to look really attractive on a CV.

Of course, experience of Service Management best practice is important, but as you've asked specifically about ITIL and Prince2 and have thrown in the budget factor, I kept my response specifically to that. Others may come back and suggest PMP as an alternative to Prince2.

With work commitments it took me almost 2 years to complete all the ITIL certifications.

That's great help thanks.

My thinking on the PRINCE2 is similar to you in that I'm probably better off ending the year with the Practioner level of Prince than that foundation level of ITIL.

• Advertisement

horgan_p wrote: »
    and can you home study and just go to an exam center ?

I'm looking to do either ITIL or a Project management exam next.
    ITIL seems under appreciated (lots of places like to see it , not so sure if they'll pay for it)

This might help for Prince2

http://www.prince2.com/prince2-digital-learning.asp

Not too sure about ITIL, I found the classroom based learning quite good as it allowed for discussion that clarified lots of the subject matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Don't think I could have passed Prince2 without a class. Its very concept heavy.

Advertisement