Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly and a horse.

Options
  • 26-08-2013 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭

What's the difference between killing say a fly,which nobody really has a problem with and a larger animal like horse,which few people would be capable of?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

I've never lost all my money on a fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

A horse will just get pissed off if you try and swat it. Hiding the body will be harder too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

You ever try making a burger or lasagne out of a fly op?

Yeah I didn't think so!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

because flys are annoying little shits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Davestator

A horse has a face - most people cant kill something with face

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Hmmmm.... Blue Arse Burger anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

We constantly compare other living things to ourselves. The closer it is to human the more uneasy we feel about harming it. Horses have personalities and emotions much like humans do, we can even communicate with them, so we see too much of ourselves in them to be as comfortable with harming them as we would be a fly. That's just based on my feelings on the matter and is in no way based on any scientific studies I'm aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

we gonna need a bigger newspaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

We constantly compare other living things to ourselves. The closer it is to human the more uneasy we feel about harming it. Horses have personalities and emotions much like humans do, we can even communicate with them, so we see too much of ourselves in them to be as comfortable with harming them as we would be a fly. That's just based on my feelings on the matter and is in no way based on any scientific studies I'm aware of.
    Well, we'd have to be talkin' about one charming motherfcuking pig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

what if its a horsefly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Al_Coholic wrote: »
    what if its a horsefly?

You'll have a moral dilemma.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Flies are a nuisance, horses are great.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Well, we'd have to be talkin' about one charming motherfcuking pig.

babePigInTheCity1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

If you swat a horse he'd kick you in the nuts. It's just picking the easier target!

I rode a horse this weekend for the first time in a long time and essentially my first time as an adult. Previously I have rode on motorcycles, mopeds, and bikes. While I was up there, it struck me that what I was riding was alive and you could feel it. There was nothing that could compare to it.

You don't get that from flies. Flies are just c*nts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

No horse has never sh1t all over my fruit bowl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

I suppose it had something to do with how a creature looks. In the same way, people are more concerned about saving pandas than rhinos.

Cartoons probably play a part too. They personify animals. There are more cartoon horses than cartoon flies I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I rode a horse this weekend for the first time in a long time and essentially my first time as an adult. Previously I have rode on motorcycles, mopeds, and bikes. While I was up there, it struck me that what I was riding was alive and you could feel it. There was nothing that could compare to it.

You've obviously never rode a zebra...same thing except with stripes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

CJC999 wrote: »
    You've obviously never rode a zebra...

Or a woman :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

CJC999 wrote: »
    You've obviously never rode a zebra...same thing except with stripes.

Goes faster too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Horses have personalities and emotions much like humans do, we can even communicate with them, so we see too much of ourselves in them to be as comfortable with harming them as we would be a fly.
    It wouldn't have been like that originally, I'd say childrens stories were we give other animals human personalities has gone a long way to changing how we interact with them. If you see how people capture the original wild horse they have little compassion for them, it's a forceful act of complete domination over the animal.

The big difference between the animals is the way they breed. Flies breed with the understanding that the vast majority might die so they overwhelm everything else with numbers. Killing one or one hundred flies won't make a lick of difference to them. Killing one horse could put an end to that line of genetic code for good. They only have one offspring at a time like us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Horses are more aesthetically pleasing than flies, humans have used them for working/sporting /hobby reasons for centuries. They are sentient creatures that can form bonds with us.

Flies are ugly, land on your food with poo-infected legs, poo on your food themselves and are the source of maggots. They're annoying buzzing bastards to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Flies are ugly, land on your food with poo-infected legs, poo on your food themselves and are the source of maggots. They're annoying buzzing bastards to boot.
    They keep the streets clean by eating our poop and leftovers. The speed at which they can make organic matter disappear is impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Well I seen a horse fly
    I seen a dragon fly
    I seen a house fly

I seen all that too
    I seen a peanut stand
    And heard a rubber band
    I seen a needle that winked its eye

But I've been, done, seen about everything
    When I see a elephant fly
    What'd you say boy
    I said when I see a elephant fly

I seen a front porch swing
    Heard a diamond ring
    I seen a polka dot railroad tie

But I've been, done, seen about everything
    When I see a elephant fly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

ScumLord wrote: »
    They keep the streets clean by eating our poop and leftovers. The speed at which they can make organic matter disappear is impressive.
    Well yes, there is that. Still ugly, annoying bastards though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

No horses on me:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

biko wrote: »
    Flies are a nuisance, horses are great.

But both are a nuisance if they get into your bedroom when you'e trying to sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Eoin wrote: »
    A horse will just get pissed off if you try and swat it. Hiding the body will be harder too.

Oh I dunno , haven't you heard of Shergar , though I will admit its unlikely you'll find a horse in your soup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

kneemos wrote: »
    What's the difference between killing say a fly,which nobody really has a problem with and a larger animal like horse,which few people would be capable of?

You need a bigger gun for a horse.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

kneemos wrote: »
    Goes faster too.

You could say it flies..

Advertisement