Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong/weak chins and respect.

Options
  • 26-08-2013 9:39am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23

Up until recently I wouldn't have consciously notice people's chins. However, a colleague in work recently had jaw surgery to have it lengthened and it dramatically changes the presence you feel off him in his company. There's just an increase in respect that I feel for him, it's obviously hard wired to feel more respect for a stronger chin.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You are shallow and easily swayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭positron

Now if only that works for double / tripple chins...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

I have more chins than a chinese phone book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Am I the only one that never realized you can get your chin surgically lengthened? Do you just go to a surgeon and say Nobody listens to me in project meetings, gimme a big chin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

THT wrote: »
    Up until recently I wouldn't have consciously notice people's chins. However, a colleague in work recently had jaw surgery to have it lengthened and it dramatically changes the presence you feel off him in his company. There's just an increase in respect that I feel for him, it's obviously hard wired to feel more respect for a stronger chin.

Has anyone else noticed this?

One guy I know applied for a job in the company I work for and he didn't get it, so he had a chin op thinking he'd fit in. It didn't work, so he had another and another and another. We tried to tell him no matter how many chin ops he had he just wouldn't fit in, towards the end he looked pathetic.

He's still having these chin ops and is still being turned down, I reckon he must think he'll get in under the radar at this stage, he won't. Maybe he thinks he'll break some sort of record for chin ops, maybe he will- but it's only a measure of how sad his own life is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 THT

anncoates wrote: »
    Am I the only one that never realized you can get your chin surgically lengthened? Do you just go to a surgeon and say Nobody listens to me in project meetings, gimme a big chin?

The procedure in particular this guy had done was in combination with orthodontics. You can also get a chin implant to lengthen your chin. It can make you dramatically better looking if you have a weak chin.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The procedure in particular this guy had done was in combination with orthodontics. You can also get a chin implant to lengthen your chin. It can make you dramatically better looking if you have a weak chin.

do you have to wear a scaffolding on your face for a few months like you do braces on teeth?

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    One guy I know applied for a job in the company I work for and he didn't get it, so he had a chin op thinking he'd fit in. It didn't work, so he had another and another and another. We tried to tell him no matter how many chin ops he had he just wouldn't fit in, towards the end he looked pathetic.

He's still having these chin ops and is still being turned down, I reckon he must think he'll get in under the radar at this stage, he won't. Maybe he thinks he'll break some sort of record for chin ops, maybe he will- but it's only a measure of how sad his own life is.

I don't know what to believe, that this story is true or that that is an incredibly unfunny joke. Both hard to believe.

• Advertisement

do you have to wear a scaffolding on your face for a few months like you do braces on teeth?

No. In neither procedures. The chin implant is a fairly straight forward procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Guess it's human nature to see people with receded chins as weak?

/shrug.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Which is interesting as modern humans were the first to have a discernible chin. Clearly it was selected for. The very earliest modern humans from 200,000 years ago, had one but it wasn't much larger than other sub species of us at the time. Maybe that's why it's seen as bad to not have a strong one now? A very distant reminder of when we stood out for having one and something to be admired?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

I have a big chin. I hate it! but my nose is pretty perfect so every cloud...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

This sort of thing is unfortunately a feature for superficial people, in Ireland particularly, if you have what's deemed to be a more quintessentially Irish look, let's call it the Wayne Rooney look ( you get the picture ) you get a worse time of it in terms of preconceptions and prejudices than someone who looks like Amy Huberman or Ryan Tubridy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Because the wayne rooney look is simply less physically attractive? Hardly an Irish thing. Physical attraction is considered a bonus worldwide.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

"Look, Daddy got a goddamn butthole on his face"

"He sure is a Spartacus-lookin' Motherfcuker"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I don't know what to believe, that this story is true or that that is an incredibly unfunny joke. Both hard to believe.

Its a true story, we call the pathetic wee lad Chin Boy, or CB for short.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Consciously or subconsciously, people make judgements about people's personalities based on their face and general physiology - i.e. men with big jaws and broad shoulders would be seen as more dominant (and as these are signs of high testosterone - it may be true) and women with small chins and big eyes are seen as kinder (as these are signs high oestrogen and low testosterone).

I'm generalising, but you get the idea. We may make unfair preconceptions based on looks but there is something behind them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I always knew there was a reason why I felt strangely compelled to respect Rocky Dennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

dd972 wrote: »
    This sort of thing is unfortunately a feature for superficial people, in Ireland particularly, if you have what's deemed to be a more quintessentially Irish look, let's call it the Wayne Rooney look ( you get the picture ) you get a worse time of it in terms of preconceptions and prejudices than someone who looks like Amy Huberman or Ryan Tubridy.

Ryan Tubridy? the human Woody the Cowboy doll?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Odd because it's really hard to knock them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Glenn Quagmire.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

That's mental.

Ba dum tsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

The boxing chin of Marvelous Marvin Hagler
    Legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

There's a ridiculously easy solution to this dilemma, Grow a beard !

I wouldn't argue with this guy.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0120494/

You have to respect the chin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Just need to chin up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭bullpost

Also possible that those companies have a glass chin ceiling?
    Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Advertisement